- IDT CORP has exprienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. Stable earnings per share over the past year indicate the company has managed its earnings and share float. We anticipate this stability to falter in the coming year and, in turn, the company to deliver lower earnings per share than prior full year. During the past fiscal year, IDT CORP reported lower earnings of $0.91 versus $0.92 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 66.5% in earnings ($0.31 versus $0.91).
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Diversified Telecommunication Services industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 127.6% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $15.65 million to -$4.33 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Diversified Telecommunication Services industry and the overall market, IDT CORP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for IDT CORP is rather low; currently it is at 15.20%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -1.10% trails that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$14.25 million or 353.61% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- IDT Corporation (NYSE: IDT) has been downgraded by TheStreet Ratings from hold to sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its feeble growth in its earnings per share, deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity, poor profit margins and weak operating cash flow. Highlights from the ratings report include: