(Adds comment from CEO on markets next year.)BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- Raymond James ( RJF), an investment bank with $271 billion in client assets, said its best stock selections, which include Nvidia ( NVDA), may double in the next year. The bank, more known for owning the naming rights to the NFL's Tampa Bay Buccaneers football stadium in Florida, has had a list of stock ideas that has outperformed larger rivals and benchmarks for more than a decade. Its asset-management unit oversees $32 billion in funds.
13. Brinker International ( EAT) Company Profile: Brinker International owns or franchises more than 1,500 casual dining restaurants in 32 countries under the names Chili's Grill & Bar and Maggiano's Little Italy. Share Price: $24.21 (Dec. 14) Potential Upside: 15.7% based on a price target of $28 Investment Thesis: Analyst Bryan Elliott says Brinker's is in phase II of its Chili's transformation, which should lead to a big margin and free cash flow opportunity. "Brinker shares have been range-bound for most of 2011 despite management consistently meeting its goals from Phase I of the transformation (improved labor productivity)," Elliott writes. "We expect similar success with Phase II initiatives (a significant kitchen technology upgrade and a major store remodel program). If we are correct, investor sentiment should improve, which could materially increase EAT's valuation metrics." Interested in more on Brinker International? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
11. Chevron ( CVX) Company Profile: Chevron is one of the largest corporations in the U.S. and is engaged in oil and gas exploration, production and refining. Share Price: $102.04 (Dec. 14) Potential Upside: 22.5% based on a price target of $125 Investment Thesis: Analyst Pavel Molchanov says Chevron is structurally the best-positioned of the super-major oil giants, like Exxon Mobil ( XOM). "Despite Chevron's currently high capital intensity as it spends heavily on the long-term
9. BB&T Corp. ( BBT) Company Profile: BB&T offers a range of financial services to consumers and businesses. The company has about 1,800 branches in 12 states with $168 billion in assets. Share Price: $23.46 (Dec. 14) Potential Upside: 28% based on a price target of $30 Investment Thesis: Analyst Michael Rose calls BB&T "a bank stock for the times," noting that the U.S. banking sector remains "plagued by economic uncertainty, increasing regulatory burdens, and European debt/banking issues." Rose says market share gains and specialty business should fuel BB&T's loan growth. "In sum, BBT is a bank stock for the times as continued progress in many fundamental areas will drive superior operating results and profitability relative to peers which in turn will benefit shares," Rose writes. Interested in more on BB&T? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
7. TW Telecom ( TWTC) Company Profile: TW Telecom is the third-largest business Ethernet provider in the U.S. Share Price: $18.94 (Dec. 14) Potential Upside: 32% based on a price target of $25 Investment Thesis: Analyst Frank Louthan says the proliferation of data makes TW Telecom the name to own since it's best positioned in the highly competitive telecom industry. "The company has valuable assets that we believe are positioned to benefit from the same data demand trends we see in that sub-sector, which can ultimately produce higher top-line growth than its peers," Louthan writes. Interested in more on TW Telecom? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
5. Lincoln National ( LNC) Company Profile: Lincoln National, with assets of $153 billion, offers annuities, life insurance, 401(k) plans, savings plans and financial planning. Share Price: $18.61 (Dec. 14) Potential Upside: 45% based on a price target of $27 Investment Thesis: Analyst Steven Schwartz says Lincoln National remains undervalued as fundamentals improve. Bank of America/Merrill Lynch analysts agree, picking Lincoln National as one of their top stock picks for 2012. "Lincoln National has the potential for substantial share price appreciation," Schwartz writes. "Lincoln continues to perform as a top-ten player in various life insurance product arenas and remains well suited to continue to benefit from the demand for the investment and insurance guarantees provided by the life insurance industry." Interested in more on Lincoln National? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
3. Whiting Petroleum ( WLL) Company Profile: Whiting Petroleum is an oil and gas exploration and production company. It owns and operates properties in the Permian Basin, Rocky Mountain, Mid-Continent, Gulf Coast and Michigan regions of the U.S. Share Price: $44.21 (Dec. 14) Potential Upside: 58.3% based on a price target of $70 Investment Thesis: Analyst John Freeman offers an extensive list of catalysts for Whiting in 2012, including the company's so-called Lewis and Clark play, which he says will alleviate inventory concerns. "In addition to Lewis and Clark, well results from several other areas across the Williston Basin (Hidden Bench, Starbuck, Tarpon, and Missouri Breaks) will help unlock the resource potential across the smaller plays in the Rocky Mountain region," Freeman writes. "While Whiting boasts an attractive balance sheet (net debt/book cap of 29%), the company is also exploring monetization options including joint ventures and/or royalty trusts to fund operations before drawing further on its $1.5 billion borrowing base." Interested in more on Whiting Petroleum? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
1. Nvidia ( NVDA) Company Profile: Nvidia is a visual computing technologies company and the inventor of the graphics processing unit (GPU). Share Price: $13.71 (Dec. 14) Potential Upside: 104% based on a price target of $28 Investment Thesis: Analyst Hans Mosesmann says that the bear case for Nvidia has been overstated and that headwinds won't materialize in the company's fiscal 2013. "Investors have been increasingly concerned about Nvidia's applications processor, Tegra, and its ability to compete given new dynamics in the tablet and smartphone market," Mosesmann notes. "In essence, we believe Qualcomm ( QCOM) will be successful in targeting the lower end of the market, but Nvidia's early lead at quad core will allow the company to have meaningful traction for Tegra in FY13." Interested in more on Nvidia? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.