NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Star Bulk Carriers Corp (Nasdaq: SBLK) has been downgraded by TheStreet Ratings from hold to sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its unimpressive growth in net income, weak operating cash flow, generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself and feeble growth in its earnings per share. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Marine industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 346.2% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $1.22 million to -$3.00 million.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 56.50%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 300.00% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $10.99 million or 39.57% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite a decrease in cash flow STAR BULK CARRIERS CORP is still fairing well by exceeding its industry average cash flow growth rate of -78.05%.
- STAR BULK CARRIERS CORP has exprienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, STAR BULK CARRIERS CORP continued to lose money by earning -$0.09 versus -$0.95 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 77.8% in earnings (-$0.16 versus -$0.09).
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Marine industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, STAR BULK CARRIERS CORP underperformed against that of the industry average and is significantly less than that of the S&P 500.