- Net sales increased 49.1% to $414.4 million compared to $277.9 million last year.
- Gross margin increased 1.9 percentage points to 49.0% compared to 47.1% last year.
- Diluted EPS increased 48.6% to $1.59 compared to $1.07 last year.
- UGG® brand sales increased 47.3% to $376.7 million compared to $255.8 million last year.
- International sales increased 113.8% to $156.4 million compared to $73.2 last year.
- Domestic sales increased 26.0% to $257.9 million compared to $204.7 million last year.
- Retail sales increased 72.1% to $34.7 million compared to $20.2 million last year.
- Same store sales rose 15.4%.
- eCommerce sales increased 18.3% to $10.3 million compared to $8.7 million last year.
Mr. Martinez continued, “Fiscal 2011 is on track to be another record year for Deckers Outdoor Corporation with the UGG brand poised to surpass $1 billion in annual sales. Equally important, we have made strategic investments that have strengthened our global operating platform and better positioned the company for sustainable long-term growth. These included our acquisition of the Sanuk® brand, our hiring of key personnel to spearhead international expansion, additional marketing and advertising investments, and our planned opening of a total of 17 new company-owned stores in fiscal year 2011. As we look out to next year, we remain optimistic about our growth opportunities despite some of the current headwinds facing the global economy. However, we will experience further increases in raw material prices in 2012.”Division Summary UGG® Brand UGG brand net sales for the third quarter increased 47.3% to $376.7 million compared to $255.8 million for the same period last year. The sales gain was primarily attributable to higher sales in the United Kingdom and Benelux resulting from the conversion to wholesale operations in these markets, higher domestic fall wholesale sales, and an increase in sales of the fall line at company-owned retail stores. Teva® Brand Teva brand net sales for the third quarter increased 7.3% to $14.7 million compared to $13.7 million for the same period last year. The sales improvement was driven by an increase in global shipments of fall product, including higher sales of closed-toe footwear, partially offset by lower reorders of sandals in the United States. The third quarter of 2011 also benefited from the conversion to a wholesale business model in the United Kingdom. Sanuk® Brand Sanuk brand net sales were $15.6 million for the third quarter of 2011. The Company’s financial results include the Sanuk operations beginning July 1, 2011, the acquisition date.
Other BrandsCombined net sales of the Company’s other brands decreased 11.7% to $7.4 million for the third quarter compared to $8.4 million for the same period last year. The decrease in sales was primarily due to the impact of phasing out the Simple® brand, which is being discontinued at the end of 2011. Retail Stores Sales for the retail store business, which are included in the brand sales numbers above, increased 72.1% to $34.7 million for the third quarter compared to $20.2 million for the same period last year, driven by 13 new stores and a same store sales increase of 15.4% for those stores that were open for the full three-month periods ended September 30, 2010 and 2011. eCommerce Sales for the eCommerce business, which are included in the brand sales numbers above, increased 18.3% to $10.3 million for the third quarter compared to $8.7 million for the same period last year. This increase was primarily attributable to higher demand for the UGG brand driven by new product introductions and enhanced marketing efforts combined with the launch of the UGG brand’s United Kingdom website. Balance Sheet At September 30, 2011, cash and cash equivalents were $90.4 million compared to $250.5 million at September 30, 2010. The decrease in cash and cash equivalents is primarily attributable to $126.6 million of cash payments associated with the acquisition of the Sanuk brand. At September 30, 2011, the Company had $45.0 million in outstanding borrowings under its credit facility compared to none at September 30, 2010. Inventories at September 30, 2011 increased 80.9% to $356.9 million compared to $197.3 million at September 30, 2010. By brand, UGG inventory increased $143.7 million to $324.0 million at September 30, 2011, Teva inventory increased $5.7 million to $16.9 million at September 30, 2011, and our other brands’ inventory increased $1.0 million to $6.8 million at September 30, 2011. Sanuk brand inventories were $9.2 million at September 30, 2011. The increase in inventory at September 30, 2011 was primarily attributable to the growth in fourth quarter orders for the UGG brand, the warehousing of fourth quarter 2011 inventory supporting the new wholesale United Kingdom and Benelux business that was fulfilled by international distributors last year, the increase in retail stores, and the additional inventory associated with the Sanuk brand.
Net intangible assets at September 30, 2011 were $211.9 million compared to $25.2 million at September 30, 2010. The increase in net intangible assets is primarily due to the preliminary purchase price allocation of the acquisition of the Sanuk brand.Full-Year 2011 Outlook Based on better than expected third quarter results the Company is raising its full-year outlook as follows:
- The Company now expects its full-year revenue to increase approximately 33% over 2010 levels, compared to previous guidance of approximately 26%. UGG brand sales are expected to increase approximately 32%, compared to previous guidance of 25%. Teva brand sales are expected to increase by approximately 20%, while other brand sales are expected to be down by approximately 10%. The newly acquired Sanuk brand is expected to generate sales in the high $20 million range.
- The Company now expects its full-year diluted earnings per share to increase approximately 22% over 2010, compared to previous guidance of approximately 17%. This guidance assumes a gross profit margin of approximately 50% and SG&A as a percentage of sales of approximately 29%.
- Fiscal 2011 guidance includes estimates of approximately $31.6 million, or $0.56 per diluted share, pertaining to incremental investments and expenses in 2011 associated with new marketing and advertising programs, increased legal spend related to intellectual property rights protection, expenses related to the transition to a wholesale business model in Europe, and due diligence, audit, and transaction fees associated with the acquisition of the Sanuk brand.
- Fiscal 2011 guidance also includes approximately $4.9 million of amortization expense related to Sanuk brand intangible assets and approximately $2.8 million of accretion expense related to estimated contingent payments for the acquisition of the Sanuk brand. The $4.9 million of amortization expense and $2.8 million of accretion expense related to the Sanuk brand acquisition is subject to purchase price allocation adjustments.
- The Company now expects fourth quarter 2011 revenue to increase approximately 29% over 2010 levels, compared to previous guidance of approximately 22%, and diluted earnings per share to increase approximately 33% over 2010 levels, compared to previous guidance of approximately 36%. The fourth quarter 2011 now includes approximately $2.0 million of additional expenses that were previously budgeted for the third quarter of 2011.
(Tables to follow)
|DECKERS OUTDOOR CORPORATION|
|Condensed Consolidated Balance Sheets|
|(Amounts in thousands)|
|September 30,||December 31,|
|Cash and cash equivalents||$||90,425||445,226|
|Trade accounts receivable, net||227,675||116,663|
|Prepaid expenses and other current assets||62,391||16,846|
|Deferred tax assets||12,002||12,002|
|Total current assets||749,366||715,732|
|Property and equipment, at cost, net||59,066||47,737|
|Intangible assets, net||211,921||24,918|
|Deferred tax assets||16,356||15,121|
|Liabilities and Stockholders' Equity|
|Trade accounts payable||132,193||67,073|
|Other accrued expenses||55,944||17,515|
|Income taxes payable||5,819||25,166|
|Total current liabilities||260,764||144,863|
|Deckers Outdoor Corporation stockholders' equity:|
|Additional paid-in capital||147,601||137,989|
|Accumulated other comprehensive (loss) income||(553||)||1,153|
|Total Deckers Outdoor Corporation stockholders' equity||715,300||652,987|
|Total liabilities and equity||$||1,045,679||808,994|
|DECKERS OUTDOOR CORPORATION|
|Condensed Consolidated Statements of Income|
|(Amounts in thousands, except for per share data)|
|Three-month period ended||Nine-month period ended|
|September 30,||September 30,|
|Cost of sales||211,505||146,926||402,188||301,262|
|Selling, general and administrative expenses||112,192||64,639||263,185||161,252|
|Income from operations||90,661||66,314||108,058||108,351|
|Other (expense) income, net:||(50)||213||131||775|
|Income before income taxes||90,611||66,527||108,189||109,126|
|Income tax expense||28,266||24,555||33,539||40,104|
|Net loss (income) attributable to the|
|Net income attributable to Deckers OutdoorCorporation||$||62,484||42,143||$||74,323||69,004|
|Net income per share attributable to DeckersOutdoor Corporation common stockholders:|
|Weighted-average common shares outstanding:|