|Debit card fees of $5 a month from Bank of America are among steps leading to a "Bank Transfer Day" protest with a Nov. 5 deadline.|
- With the Durbin Amendment in effect, banks will still make 19 cents profit per processed transaction.
- The average consumer uses his or her debit card 24 times per month.
- Without the additional fee, Bank of America stands to turn a $3.3 billion annual profit from its 59 million customers' debit card transactions.
- Open an account with a credit union.
- Transfer your funds to the account (online or in person) by Nov. 5.
- Follow your bank's procedures to close your account.