NEW YORK ( TheStreet ) -- Here's a new mantra for Occupy Wall Street protesters whose wrath has partially targeted boardroom fat cats: No Diversity, No Peace!With few exceptions, corporate boards have historically been white and male. Statistics compiled by the Alliance for Board Diversity reveal that among Fortune 100 companies, the majority of board members, 82%, are men. Of those, 69.9% are white men, while minorities and women made up the other 30.1%. The percentages for Fortune 500 companies were even worse. There, men hold almost 85% of all board seats, with white men representing 74.5%, minority men 9.9%, white women 12.7%, and minority women just 3%. Many are cautiously optimistic that times are changing. As companies try to find ways to navigate the persistent economic doldrums, boost undervalued stock prices, and appeal to a frustrated and cynical investing public, many are starting to cast a wide net by looking for effective ways to improve governance and increase shareholder value. It is a nascent trend that extends into their own boardrooms, as many are concluding that a diverse board of directors is a critical component of a successful business strategy. Domino's Pizza UK & IRL ( DOM.L) is the most recent example of what some hope will become a sea change in corporate governance. Until June of this year, Domino's board exemplified the old school, with no female director among its members. As of September 30, women now hold 20% of its board seats. Other companies like Crocs and Bunzl are reportedly making similar strides. While board diversity is not a new topic, it appears to have picked up renewed energy and focus, according to Reatha Clark King, Ph.D., a National Association of Corporate Directors board member and former president and board chair of the General Mills Foundation. King believes the change is being driven in part by women and minorities who have already joined board ranks. But only in part. Other interested parties -- including significant numbers of directors who fit the traditional mold -- also see board diversity as important to a company's overall performance and long-term success. While the changes at Domino's and Crocs are thought to reflect just such growing awareness on all sides of the boardroom demographic, it may yet be premature to read too much into the changes at these particular companies. That said, they do certainly underscore just how compelling the case for diversity can be.