Testimony by four former News International employees on Tuesday throws the focus of the investigation into hacking at the News of the World back on to Les Hinton, who led News Corp's British newspaper business between 1995 and 2007, and Murdoch, News Corp's European chief and deputy chief operating officer. Speaking before the culture, media and sport select committee, Colin Myler, the News of the World's former editor, and Tom Crone, who left as News Group Newspapers' legal manager in August, said it was "inconceivable" that Murdoch was unaware in 2008 of the significance of the e-mail which proved hacking went beyond a single rogue reporter at the Sunday newspaper. The meeting at which the "For Neville" e-mail was discussed saw Murdoch authorize a payment of £425,000 plus legal costs to Gordon Taylor, a football executive. "Since he gave us the authority we were asking for, I would take it that for the first time he realised News of the World was involved
By the Financial Times ( Financial Times) -- James Murdoch was shown the explosive e-mail at the heart of the phone-hacking scandal, contrary to what he told parliament earlier this year, a committee of MPs has heard.