"Look Dave, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over." -- Hal 9000 Computer, 2001: A Space Odyssey.NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- If you're thinking of dumping large bank stocks Tuesday in reaction to last week's FHFA lawsuit bombshell, you might want to reconsider. Instead, take a deep breath and mull some other bank stock opportunities, because the automated traders and other market pros will clean your clock if you try to trade based on the lawsuit headlines.
- For starters, TheStreet has identified 10 Banks with Solid Revenue that have achieved real second-quarter revenue growth year over year, irrespective of the loan loss reserve releases that have been padding the earnings of most of the large banks. People's United Bancorp (PBCT - Get Report) features prominently in this article, with second-quarter preprovision (for loan losses) net revenue more than doubling year over year, to $98.4 million, according to SNL Financial
- Using the same criteria for year-over-year revenue growth, we also highlighted 10 Tiny Banks With Double-Digit Revenue Growth.
- For investors seeking relatively safe banking plays that have posted strong earnings results right through the credit crisis, here are 5 Rational Bank Stock Picks for an Irrational Market. Bank of Hawaii (BOH - Get Report) is one of the quality banking names featured here, with a return on average assets ranging between 1.08% and 1.70% over the past 10 quarters.
- For investors looking for banks achieving the Holy Grail of solid loan growth in a tepid economic environment, here are 10 Banks Growing Business Loans. The winners on this list include M&T Bank (MTB - Get Report), with commercial & industrial loans increasing 18% year-over-year, mainly from the acquisition of Wilmington Trust, and the ever-expanding First Niagara Financial Group (FNFG), which grew its C&I portfolio 62% year-over-year, mainly from its NewAlliance acquisition.
- During times of uncertainty, dividends provide comfort to investors, especially when the payouts are generous and well-supported by earnings. Here are 10 Profitable Banks Yielding Over 4 Percent. Dime Community Bancshares (DCOM - Get Report) is a nice, steady play here, with a dividend yield well in excess of 5%, and its 14-cent quarterly payout is only 39% of its second-quarter earnings of 36 cents a share.
- Credit card lending is a great business to be in right now, especially if it's your focus. Here are 5 Profitable Credit Card Stocks With 3 On Fire. Discover Financial Services (DFS - Get Report) is a world-beater, with a fiscal second-quarter operating return on average assets (ROA) of 3.76%, according to SNL Financial. American Express (AXP - Get Report) ain't too shabby either, with a second-quarter ROA of 3.55%.
Philip van Doorn. To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/PhilipvanDoorn.