NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- eLong (Nasdaq: LONG) has been downgraded by TheStreet Ratings from buy to hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and expanding profit margins. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and feeble growth in the company's earnings per share. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 4.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 23.5%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- LONG has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 10.93, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- The gross profit margin for ELONG INC -ADR is currently very high, coming in at 77.80%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Despite the strong results of the gross profit margin, LONG's net profit margin of 5.10% significantly trails the industry average.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Hotels, Restaurants & Leisure industry. The net income has decreased by 19.4% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, dropping from $1.39 million to $1.12 million.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Hotels, Restaurants & Leisure industry and the overall market, ELONG INC -ADR's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.