- Net Sales were a record $5,950,000 (+$2,094,000 or +54%)
- Natural astaxanthin sales increased 97%, primarily due to an increase of 94% in bulk astaxanthin products. Packaged astaxanthin sales increased 108%.
- Spirulina sales increased 12%, primarily due to an increase of 35% in packaged spirulina sales. Bulk spirulina sales increased by 2%.
- Cash increased to $3,109,000 (+$2,241,000 or +258%)
- Inventories declined to $2,809,000 (-$1,368,000 or -33%)
Cyanotech Corporation (Nasdaq Capital Market: CYAN), a world leader in microalgae-based, high-value nutrition and health products, today announced financial results for the first quarter of fiscal year 2012, ended June 30, 2011. First Quarter 2012 For the first quarter of fiscal 2012 compared to the first quarter of fiscal 2011, revenues were $5,950,000 compared to $3,856,000. Gross profit was $2,104,000, with gross profit margin of 35%, compared to gross profit of $1,659,000 and gross profit margin of 43%. Net income was $486,000 or $.09 per diluted share, compared to net income of $399,000 or $0.07 per diluted share. Trailing 12 Months For the trailing 12 months ended June 30, 2011, compared to the trailing 12 months ended June 30, 2010, revenues were $18,921,000 compared to revenues of $15,577,000. Gross profit was $6,786,000, with gross profit margin of 36%, compared to gross profit of $6,558,000 and gross profit margin of 42%. Net income was $1,817,000 or $.33 per diluted share, including a non-cash tax benefit of $552,000 due to a reduction in the deferred tax valuation allowance and recording of a net deferred tax asset in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2011, compared to $1,377,000, or $0.25 per diluted share. Income before the income tax benefit was $1,256,000 compared to $1,401,000. Brent Bailey, President and CEO, said, “Cyanotech continued its sound performance in the first quarter of fiscal 2012 compared to the first quarter of fiscal 2011: