The requested increase would help cover the operations and maintenance costs of safely and reliably integrating existing and future renewable energy resources into MECO's three isolated, island electrical grids. Also included are energy storage projects which will help integrate even higher levels of variable resources such as wind and solar, including:
- A battery energy storage system at MECO's Wailea Substation; and
- A energy storage system on a distribution circuit in Central Maui.
- Upgrades and improvements to generation facilities on Maui, Lanai and Molokai that will increase efficiency, improve service reliability and help to reduce emissions;
- Replacement of aging underground electric lines and equipment to increase service reliability in Central, South and West Maui;
- Upgrades to underground electric lines and equipment that will add capacity to MECO's electrical system; and
- Installation of fiber optic equipment at the Maalaea Power Plant that will improve communication and data acquisition and provide greater reliability of service.