NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Procter & Gamble ( PG - Get Report) and Coca-Cola ( KO - Get Report) are among the companies that may follow Ford Motor ( F - Get Report) in pulling their advertising from News Corp.'s ( NWSA - Get Report) News of the World publication in the wake of phone hacking accusations.

News Corp., which is run by Rupert Murdoch, is under pressure in the United Kingdom after British Prime Minister David Cameron condemned the alleged hacking of a missing girl's voice mail by the News of the World in 2002. The girl was eventually found to have been murdered.

Ford Motor has already pulled its ads from the paper, saying it would consider marketing alternatives pending an investigation into the scandal.

"Ford is a company which cares about the standards of behavior of its own people and those it deals with externally," Ford Motor said in a statement.

Other companies that have pulled their ads from the tabloid include Mitsubishi Motors and Virgin Holidays.

In addition to P&G and Coca-Cola, both T-Mobile, which is currently a unit of Deutsche Telekom ( DT) but is in the process of being acquired by AT&T ( T), and Vodafone ( VOD) have also voiced concerns, and said they are reexamining their advertising ties with News of the World.

A T-Mobile spokesman said that "we're currently reviewing our advertising position with News of the World, following the recent allegations, and await the outcome of the ongoing police investigation."

P&G was the third largest advertiser with the paper last year, spending around 1.3 million euros ($1.9 million) last year, according to a list of the top 30 News of the World advertisers as reported by The Guardian. P&G has said it shares the "growing concern" over the damaging allegations.


Vodafone ranked 9th on the list, spending 660,000 euros ($945,000) last year. Unilever ( UN), Kellogg ( K - Get Report) and L'Oreal Paris were also on the list, spending 493,000 euro ($706,000), 359,000 euro ($514,000) and 302,000 euro ($432,000), respectively.

Coca-Cola said it was "shocked by the new allegations that have been made."

The latest accusations involve new claims that the paper hacked the phones of the parents of two murdered schoolgirls, Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman, as well as those belonging to victims of the London terror attack on July 7, 2005.

Outrage had already been mounting after private detective, Glenn Mulcaire, who was working for the paper, allegedly accessed Milly Dowler's phone messages after she was abducted in March 2002. Mulcaire is said to have deleted some messages on Dowler's phone, complicating the police investigation. Dowler's killer was convicted last month.

These were not the first phone hacking scandals to surface at News of the World, with prior allegations coming from celebrities, politicians and athletes. The company has been sued by more than two dozen individuals. News Corp. has apologized and offered to settle some of the cases.

Murdoch commented on the situation on Wednesday, saying that "recent allegations of phone hacking and making payments to police with respect to the News of the World are deplorable and unacceptable."

But he continued to support Rebekah Brooks, the CEO of News Corp.'s U.K. newspaper operations who was the editor of News of the World in 2002.

"I have made clear that our company must fully and proactively cooperate with the police in all investigations and that is exactly what News International has been doing and will continue to do under (Chief Executive Officer) Rebekah Brooks' leadership," Murdoch said. "We are committed to addressing these issues fully and have taken a number of important steps to prevent them from happening again."

-- Written by Miriam Marcus Reimer in New York.

>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Miriam Reimer.

>To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/miriamsmarket.

>To submit a news tip, send an email to: tips@thestreet.com.

READERS ALSO LIKE:






>>See our new stock quote page.

Get more stock ideas and investing advice on our sister site, Stockpickr.com.

Disclosure: TheStreet's editorial policy prohibits staff editors and reporters from holding positions in any individual stocks.