- The gross profit margin for PLANAR SYSTEMS INC is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 30.30%. Regardless of PLNR's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of -0.20% trails the industry average.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Electronic Equipment, Instruments & Components industry and the overall market, PLANAR SYSTEMS INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- PLANAR SYSTEMS INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, PLANAR SYSTEMS INC reported poor results of -$0.27 versus -$0.19 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings (-$0.16 versus -$0.27).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Electronic Equipment, Instruments & Components industry. The net income increased by 97.3% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$3.59 million to -$0.10 million.
- Compared to its price level of one year ago, PLNR is up 6.32% to its most recent closing price of 2.52. Looking ahead, our view is that this company's fundamentals should not have much impact in either direction, allowing the stock to generally move up or down based on the push and pull of the broad market.
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Planar Systems (Nasdaq: PLNR) has been upgraded by TheStreet Ratings from sell to hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its increase in stock price during the past year, compelling growth in net income and revenue growth. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the company's profit margins have been poor overall. Highlights from the ratings report include: