- Net revenues increased 14.2% to $72.9 million as compared to $63.9 million in the fourth quarter of 2009. Comparable store sales increased 6.4% while sales from the Company’s direct-to-consumer-channel increased 30.6%.
- Operating loss totaled $5.2 as compared to a loss of $6.4 million in the fourth quarter of last year. Fourth quarter 2010 operating loss included $1.1 million in store closing, lease termination and asset impairment charges. Excluding these charges, operating loss totaled $4.1 million.
- Net loss for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2010 totaled $5.7 million or $0.35 per share. This compares to a net loss of $6.3 million or $0.39 per share for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2009. Excluding store closing, lease termination and asset impairment charges net loss was $4.6 million, or $0.28 per share.
- The Company ended the fourth quarter with $40.4 million of outstanding borrowings under its credit facility with borrowing availability of $18.5 million. This compares to $36.0 million of outstanding borrowings under its credit facility with borrowing availability of $16.1 million at January 2, 2010.
- As of January 1, 2011, total inventory was $79.0 million as compared to $78.0 million at January 2, 2010. Comparable average store inventory declined approximately 5.1%.
- Net revenues totaled $351.9 million as compared to $338.0 million in fiscal 2009. Comparable store sales increased 0.3% and sales from the Company’s direct-to-consumer channel increased 4.1%.
- Operating loss totaled $4.3 as compared to a loss of $2.1 million for fiscal 2009. Results for 2010 include $2.7 million in store closing, lease termination and asset impairment charges. Fiscal 2009 included $0.9 million in one-time charges.
- Net loss for fiscal 2010 totaled $5.5 million, or $0.34 per share. This compares to a net loss of $3.5 million or $0.22 per share for fiscal 2009. Excluding store closing, lease termination, asset impairment and other one-time charges, the Company’s net loss was $2.8 million, or $0.17 per share, for fiscal 2010 as compared to $2.7 million, or $0.17 per share, for fiscal 2009.
We look forward to building upon this success with the new initiatives we outlined for fiscal 2011 which include: aggressively building our successful web business; expanding a proven, powerful new store model, driving optimal 4-wall results by store segment; shifting merchandise assortments to more apparel and footwear; expanding proprietary brands; and delivering operational excellence. We believe that we are ideally positioned to benefit from the consolidation of the golf industry as well as the economic recovery in 2011 and beyond.”Conference Call Information The company will host a conference call today at 9:00 a.m. (eastern time) to discuss its fourth quarter and fiscal 2010 financial results. The call will be simulcast over the Internet at https://investors.golfsmith.com. A replay will be available for 30 days after the call at the aforementioned website. Telephone replays can be accessed for one month following the call by dialing 877-870-5176 (U.S.) or 858-384-5517 (international) and entering passcode 1538031. About Golfsmith Golfsmith International Holdings, Inc. (NASDAQ: GOLF), has been in business for over 40 years and is a specialty retailer of golf and tennis equipment, apparel and accessories. The company operates as an integrated multi-channel retailer, offering its customers the convenience of shopping in more than 70 stores across the United States, through its Internet site and from its assortment of catalogs. Golfsmith offers an extensive product selection that features premier branded merchandise, as well as its proprietary products, clubmaking components and pre-owned clubs. Cautionary Language This press release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of the federal securities laws. Statements that are not historical facts, including statements about the company’s beliefs and expectations, are forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements include statements preceded by, followed by or that include the words “may,” “could,” “would,” “should,” “believe,” “expect,” “anticipate,” “plan,” “estimate,” “target,” “project,” “intend,” or similar expressions. Forward-looking statements are not guarantees of performance. These statements are based on management’s beliefs and assumptions, which in turn are based in part on currently available information and in part on management’s estimates and projections of future events and conditions. Important assumptions relating to the forward-looking statements include, among others, assumptions regarding demand for the products, the introduction of new product offerings, store opening costs, the ability to lease new sites on a timely basis, expected pricing levels, the timing and cost of planned capital expenditures, competitive conditions and general economic conditions. These assumptions could prove inaccurate. Forward-looking statements also involve risks and uncertainties, which could cause actual results that differ materially from those contained in any forward-looking statement. Many of these factors are beyond the company’s ability to control or predict. The company believes its forward-looking statements are reasonable; however, undue reliance should not be placed on any forward-looking statements, which are based on current expectations. Further, forward-looking statements speak only as of the date they are made, and the company undertakes no obligation to update publicly any of them in light of new information or future events.
|Golfsmith International Holdings, Inc. Consolidated Statements of Operations|
|Three Months Ended||Fiscal Year Ended|
|January 1, 2011||January 2, 2010||January 1, 2011||January 2, 2010|
|Cost of products sold||49,520,381||42,184,747||232,311,169||222,536,657|
|Selling, general and administrative||27,214,422||27,975,616||120,377,666||117,272,149|
|Store pre-opening expenses||240,688||82,508||737,898||292,803|
|Store closing, lease termination and impairment charges||1,133,212||-||2,705,836||44,716|
|Total operating expenses||28,588,322||28,058,124||123,821,400||117,609,668|
|Other income (expense), net||2,925||13,306||67,781||63,497|
|Loss before income taxes||(5,677,232||)||(6,624,343||)||(5,475,447||)||(3,361,765||)|
|Income tax benefit (expense)||(38,784||)||324,706||(17,898||)||(182,850||)|
|Net loss per common share:|
|Golfsmith International Holdings, Inc. Consolidated Balance Sheets|
|January 1, 2011||January 2, 2010|
|Receivables, net of allowances||2,011,241||1,949,411|
|Prepaid expenses and other current assets||6,891,261||4,737,077|
|Total current assets||88,523,929||85,373,784|
|Property and equipment, net||58,925,620||56,475,787|
|Intangible assets, net||25,524,016||25,945,699|
|Other long-term assets||2,057,363||1,076,592|
|LIABILITIES AND STOCKHOLDERS' EQUITY|
|Accrued expenses and other current liabilities||20,393,614||19,491,865|
|Total current liabilities||56,088,444||51,863,691|
|Deffered rent liabilities||15,344,004||13,412,548|
|Total stockholders' equity||63,208,446||67,595,623|
|Total liabilities and stockholders' equity||$||175,030,928||$||168,871,862|