SPRINGFIELD, Mo., Jan. 21, 2011 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Guaranty Federal Bancshares, Inc. (Nasdaq:GFED), the holding company (the "Company") for Guaranty Bank, today announces the following results for its year ended December 31, 2010. Fiscal Year 2010 Financial Highlights
- Earnings per common share for the year increased to $.19 as compared to ($1.29) for 2009.
- Net income for the year increased to $1,623,000 as compared to a net loss of ($2,341,000) for 2009.
- Net interest margin for the year improved 75 basis points to 2.61% as compared to 1.86% for 2009.
- Return on average assets improved to .23% for 2010 as compared o (.32%) in 2009.
- Return on average equity improved to 3.04% for 2010 as compared to (4.48%) in 2009.
- Equity to assets increased to 7.69% as compared to 6.97% at December 31, 2009.
- Book value per common share increased to $13.70 as compared to $13.49 at December 31, 2009.
- Net interest income - The Company's management of interest expense improved net interest income and margin which positively impacted earnings during the year. The Company continues to manage and reduce its cost of funding through deposit pricing initiatives and maturities of high cost wholesale funding. Also, due to the increase in liquidity in the prior year, the Company had the ability to significantly reduce its cost of retail certificates of deposit as well as reduce those balances. On the asset side of the balance sheet, while loans have declined due to weak loan demand and specific foreclosures, the Company continues to closely manage loan pricing by increasing existing rate floors and focusing on the reduction of nonaccrual loans, which ultimately has a positive impact on the Company's yield on earning assets.
- Provision for loan losses - The Company recorded a provision for loan loss expense of $4.3 million during 2010 as compared to $6.9 million for 2009. A decline in non-performing assets over 2009 (18%) and the overall decline in loan balances over the past year has reduced the Company's allowance for loan loss reserve requirements. The allowance for loan losses as of December 31, 2010 was 2.37% of gross loans outstanding (excluding mortgage loans held for sale).
- Non-interest income – The increase in non-interest income in 2010 over 2009 was due to a few factors both positively and negatively impacting income. First, the Company experienced an increase of $306,000 in its gain on sale of fixed rate mortgage loans for 2010 compared to the prior year due to the lower rate environment in the latter half of 2010 which increased mortgage loan volume. Also, the Company recognized earnings in 2010 of $380,000 from its bank owned life insurance compared to $70,000 in the prior year. However, offsetting these increases was a decline in gains on sales of investment securities of $415,000. There was also a decline in service charge income of $250,000 primarily due to declines in overdraft charges, which is partially due to the adoption of Regulation E. Regulation E has negatively impacted overdraft income due to new requirements on debit card and ATM transactions. The long-term impact cannot be fully determined.
- Non-interest expense –The increase in non-interest expense in 2010 was primarily due to increased personnel costs. Personnel costs increased $684,000 over 2009 due to key associates being added in 2010 for the lending and executive areas of the Bank. Also, the Company experienced increases in employee benefit expenses. However, offsetting this increase was a decrease in FDIC insurance premium expense of $300,000 in 2010 over 2009 primarily due to the one-time assessment incurred for the second quarter of 2009.
|Quarter ended||Year ended|
|(Dollar amounts are in thousands, except per share data)|
|Total interest income||$ 7,991||$ 8,512||$ 32,331||$ 33,873|
|Total interest expense||3,185||4,928||14,807||20,526|
|Provision for loan losses||1,550||1,950||4,300||6,900|
|Net interest income after provision for loan losses||3,256||1,634||13,224||6,447|
|Income (loss) before income tax||226||(1,278)||2,525||(3,975)|
|Provision (credit) for income tax||94||(587)||902||(1,634)|
|Net income (loss)|
|Preferred stock dividends and discount accretion||281||281||1,126||1,032|
|Net income (loss) available to common shareholders||$ (149)||$ (972)||$ 497||$ (3,373)|
|Net income (loss) per common share-basic||$ (0.06)||$ (0.37)||$ 0.19||$ (1.29)|
|Net income (loss) per common share-diluted||$ (0.06)||$ (0.37)||$ 0.19||$ (1.29)|
|Annualized return on average assets||.08%||(.37%)||.23%||(.32%)|
|Annualized return on average equity||.97%||(5.15%)||3.04%||(4.48%)|
|Net interest margin||2.94%||2.01%||2.61%||1.86%|
|As of||As of|
|Financial Condition Data:||31-Dec-10||31-Dec-09|
|Cash and cash equivalents||$ 14,145||$ 33,017|
|Investments and interest bearing deposits||114,916||119,693|
|Loans, net of allowance for loan losses 12/31/2010 - $12,183; 12/31/2009 - $14,076||505,565||528,503|
|Total assets||$ 682,992||$ 737,780|
|Deposits||$ 480,694||$ 513,051|
|Securities sold under agreements to repurchase||39,750||39,750|
|Total liabilities and stockholders' equity||$ 682,992||$ 737,780|
|Equity to assets ratio||7.69%||6.97%|
|Book value per common share||$ 13.70||$ 13.49|
|Non performing assets||$ 33,552||$ 41,044|
CONTACT: Shaun A. Burke, President & CEO Guaranty Bank 1341 W. Battlefield Springfield, MO 65807 417-520-4333