By Cindy Perman, CNBC.com Staff Writer
NEW YORK ( CNBC) -- The job market may be showing signs of life but competition remains fierce, so if you're headed to an interview, don't blow it. "The goal of any interview is to stand out from the other candidates and ultimately land the job, but make sure you stand out for the right reasons!" said Rosemary Haefner, vice president of human resources for CareerBuilder. CareerBuilder recently polled a couple thousand hiring managers and found out that one of the most common mistakes candidates made at job interviews was answering a cell-phone call or text during an interview. Seven out of 10 hiring managers said they'd had a candidate do that during an interview.
| More from CNBC The Best Jobs in America |
The Worst Jobs in America
10 Questions to Ask at Your Performance Review
- Provide a detailed listing of how previous employer made them mad.
- Hug the hiring manager at the end of the interview.
- Eat all the candy from the candy bowl while trying to answer questions.
- Bad-mouth spouse throughout the interview.
- Blow her nose and line up used tissues on the table in front of her.
- Bring a copy of a college diploma, with white out over the name and candidates name written on top.
- Wear a hat that said "take this job and shove it."
- Talk about how an affair cost him a previous job.
- Throw his beer can in the outside trashcan before coming into the reception office.
- Have a friend come in and ask "HOW MUCH LONGER?"