News Corp.'s BSkyB Bid Requires Review

NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The U.K. Office of Communications has recommended that News Corporations' ( NWSA) $12.4 billion bid to buyout U.K.-based British Sky Broadcasting, or BSkyB, be reviewed by the Competition Commission, the Guardian reports.

The Office of Communications reportedly handed over the investigation to the U.K. government's department for culture, media and sports on Dec. 31.

The potential deal received regulatory approval from the European Union in December, but was waiting on the Office of Communication to finalize its review.

News Corp. currently holds a 39% stake in BSkyB, and is looking to buy the remaining 61% for 7.8 billion pounds, or approximately $12.4 billion.

The proposal has gained opposition from BSkyB's rival news outlets as well as the Church of England. Many argue that through the acquisition, News Corp. and CEO Rupert Murdoch would gain too much control of the British media.

News Corp. already owns four major U.K. newspapers, including the nation's largest publication, News of the World. By buying out Sky, News Corp. would acquire its 10 million customers, or close to 66% of the pay-TV subscribers in the U.K.

U.K. culture secretary Jeremy Hunt is expected to announce a final decision on the proposed buyout by the end of the month.

-- Written by Theresa McCabe in Boston.

>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Theresa McCabe.

>To follow the writer on Twitter, go to @TheresaMcCabe.

>To submit a news tip, send an email to: tips@thestreet.com.

RELATED STORIES:



Disclosure: TheStreet's editorial policy prohibits staff editors and reporters from holding positions in any individual stocks.

More from Stocks

Palo Alto Networks Is Set for an Upside Breakout and Rally Back to the Highs

Palo Alto Networks Is Set for an Upside Breakout and Rally Back to the Highs

Dow Soars on Signs of Progress in U.S.-China Trade Discussions

Dow Soars on Signs of Progress in U.S.-China Trade Discussions

Under Armour Is Tripped Up by Concerns Over North American Sales

Under Armour Is Tripped Up by Concerns Over North American Sales

FedEx and UPS Set to Deliver Gains During Santa Claus Rally

FedEx and UPS Set to Deliver Gains During Santa Claus Rally

Chart of the Day: Can Dave & Buster's Benefit From the Fall of the Mall?

Chart of the Day: Can Dave & Buster's Benefit From the Fall of the Mall?