Published twice a year and publicly available at www.Top500.org, the TOP500 list ranks the world’s most powerful computer systems according to the Linpack benchmark rating system.Highlights of InfiniBand usage on the Nov. 2010 TOP500 list include:
- InfiniBand grew to 215 systems, 43 percent of the list, up 18 percent from Nov. 2009. Ethernet (Gigabit Ethernet and 10 Gigabit Ethernet) connected systems declined by 13 percent in the same period of time.
- Mellanox InfiniBand provides the highest system utilization on the TOP500, up to 96 percent system utilization, and connects the Top5 most efficient systems.
- InfiniBand is the most used interconnect in the Top100, Top200 and Top300: 61 percent of the Top100, 58 percent of the Top200, 51 percent of the Top300.
- InfiniBand connects the majority of the Petaflop systems on the list (four out of seven), four of the world’s most powerful supercomputers in the Top10.
- InfiniBand connects 7.5 times the number of Cray-based systems in the Top500 systems and 3x the number of Cray-based systems in the Top100 systems.
- 24 new Top100 InfiniBand systems were introduced during 2010 while no Ethernet connected system reached the Top100. Ranked #126, Mellanox 10GigE adapters provide the highest ranking amongst the seven 10Gb/s Ethernet systems on the list.
- Clusters continue to be the dominant system architecture with 83 percent of the TOP500 list.
- Mellanox end-to-end 40Gb/s scalable HPC solution accelerates NVIDIA GPU-based systems with the new NVIDIA GPUDirect technology that enables faster GPU communications.
- Mellanox InfiniBand interconnect products present in the TOP500 are used by a diverse list of applications, from large-scale, high-performance computing to commercial technical computing and enterprise data centers.