The loan portfolio remains diversified with commercial loans accounting for 39% of the portfolio and commercial real estate accounting for 46% of the portfolio at June 30, 2010. Construction and land development loans, which accounted for 8% of the loan portfolio at June 30, 2010, are down 38% to $49.1 million from $79.5 million a year ago, reflecting the maturing of projects funded in past years, the reduction in new projects starts in the past two years, and our continuing successful collection efforts.Nonperforming assets at June 30, 2010, declined by $3.2 million year-over-year and from the preceding quarter. The risk profile of the portfolio improved as a result of the following developments:
- Loans measured for impairment decreased to $25.1 million at June 30, 2010, compared to $44.0 million at March 31, 2010, and $67.1 million in the second quarter a year ago.
- Nonperforming loans totaled $15.4 million, or 2.45% of total portfolio loans at June 30, 2010, compared to $20.0 million, or 2.92% of total portfolio loans a year ago.
- All construction and development projects in Other Real Estate Owned (OREO) are substantially complete and are being marketed.
- The $5.3 million condominium conversion project in Anchorage that moved into OREO during the fourth quarter of 2009 continues to generate rental income producing an average yield of approximately 5%. Of the 68 original units, 32 condos have been sold and 36 are rented, providing positive cash flow for the project.
- Net charge-offs in the second quarter of 2010, totaled $994,000, or 0.16% of average loans, compared to net charge-offs of $2.3 million, or 0.33% of average loans during the second quarter of 2009. Year-to-date net charge-offs totaled $1.4 million, or 0.45%, annualized, of average loans, down from $3.2 million, 0.91%, annualized, of average loans in the first half of 2009.
- Sales of OREO continued during the second quarter, with 25 properties sold for an aggregate of $3.9 million, generating a $211,000 net gain over current carrying value. Year-to-date OREO sales generated $5.9 million in gross proceeds, $281,000 in gain on sale of 36 properties total.
- The coverage ratio of the allowance to nonperforming loans increased to 93.6% at June 30, 2010, compared to 65.92% in the second quarter a year ago.