(Toyota sudden acceleration poll results article updated with additional information regarding recent alleged Toyota sudden acceleration incidents, as well as updated stock prices.)NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Recalls by other big automakers do nothing to diminish Toyota's ( TM) many problems, according to a recent poll by TheStreet. The other automakers' recalls haven't diverted attention away from or minimized the impact of Toyota's own problems, according to 74.8% of TheStreet users. On the other hand, 25.2% of voters in the poll do, in fact, credit Toyota for engaging its in recalls without pointing fingers at the rest of the auto industry -- or calling attention to the fact that Toyota is far from alone in dealing with recall issues. "They can say 'other companies are struggling too; we're not the only ones,' but they haven't played that card, which is the right thing to do," Edmunds.com analyst Jessica Caldwell says. Caldwell says it's the "mature" thing to do. Toyota's stock finished the week flat, less than 0.1% higher at $77 a share. In pre-market trading Monday morning, shares of Toyota were down 23 cents to $76.76. Meanwhile, Toyota's massive PR machine is now in full play, but trying to smooth over allegations that its rapid acceleration issues have been connected with a reported 52 fatalities is no small task. What's more, is that even though Toyota has already recalled about 8.5 million vehicles globally, assembled a garrison of inside and outside auto experts to discredit critics of its electronic systems, and pushed its president, Akio Toyoda, to the front line of congressional hearings in Washington on Toyota's safety problems -- all in hopes of putting the past behind and moving on to winning back market share with aggressive customer incentives like sweet financing deals -- Toyota's accelerator issues have been coming back to haunt the automaker in the recent days. Most recently, investigators were looking into two runaway Prius incidents that occurred in the week of the eighth -- one on a San Diego highway and the other in a New York City suburb -- and trying ascertain the cause of the incidents. Toyota and federal investigators are apparently unable to replicate the San Diego runaway incident, raising questions about the credibility of the report, according to the Associated Press.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.