GlaxoSmithKline ( GSK) is one of the top five pharmaceutical firms in the world. Headquartered in the U.K. with operations in the U.S., Glaxo has an estimated 7% of the world's pharmaceutical market.The company's top product is the asthma medication Advair, which combines with two of the company's other products, Flovent and Serevent, to form a single, twice-daily treatment. Other bestsellers include the herpes treatment Valtrex, antidepressants Paxil and Wellbutrin, migraine therapy Imitrex and antibiotic Augmentin. Here are some key statements I pulled off of the GSK Web site:
- "Every second ... we distribute more than 35 doses of vaccine.
- "Every minute ... more than 1,100 prescriptions are written for GSK products.
- "Every hour ... we spend more than $562,00 to find new medicines.
- "Every day ... more than 200 million people around the world use a GSK brand toothbrush or toothpaste.
- "Every year ... our factories produce 9 billion Tums tablets, 6 billion Panadol tablets and 600 million tubes of toothpaste."