This column was originally published on RealMoney on March 30 at 3:50 p.m. EST. It's being republished as a bonus for TheStreet.com readers.Handset sales are simply booming. Thursday morning, Nokia ( NOK), the world's largest handset vendor, upped the number of units that it expects to be sold by the industry globally. Let's try to put its numbers in perspective:
- In 2005, 795 million handsets were sold on planet Earth, according to Nokia.
- In 2006, Nokia expects that number to increase 15% to 915 million handsets.
- The population of the world is roughly 6,506,672,000.
- There were 209 million PCs sold worldwide last year, and 229 million units expected to ship this year.
- 1.6 billion TV sets are in use globally, according to BusinessWeek.