Editor's Note: Tracy Byrnes will be answering questions throughout the tax season to help guide you through your return. Please send her an email to ask a tax-related question. She will pick a few each week to answer for all of our readers.

My husband accepted a job transfer from Michigan to Kentucky in 2005. What items are tax deductible? We were not reimbursed for moving expenses. Our home in Michigan did not sell until August, with the purchase of a home in Kentucky in December. Between March and December we stayed in temporary housing. Are return trips to Michigan deductible? -- B.K.

Tracy Byrnes: Since none of your expenses is reimbursable by your husband's employer, you can deduct the cost of your move on line 26 of your Form 1040. Keep in mind, though, that only the cost of the move from your old home to your new home is deductible. That includes lodging on the way, actual travel costs, packing, crating and transporting your stuff, and even moving your pets.

But you can't deduct the cost of your temporary housing, nor any trips back and forth to check out your new living arrangements.

And one more thing: Your husband has to stay with this new job as a full-time employee for 39 weeks during the first 12 months after you arrive at the new location to make the deduction legit, says Fred Stein, a tax analyst with RIA, a provider of tax information and software to tax professionals.

In a column last year you wrote that Enron stockholders could not claim their stock as worthless in their 2004 filings. Where can I find out if Enron stock is eligible to be declared worthless for 2005 tax filings? -- R.T.

Ah, the never-ending Enron saga. I wish I had better news, but you'd be hard-pressed to find a tax professional who'd tell you the stock is officially worthless.

Here's why. On Nov. 17, 2004, Enron's bankruptcy plan went into effect and all shareholders had to give up their common stock. But instead of just canceling the stock like other bankrupt companies do, Enron decided to give all of its shareholders a piece of a trust. It then said that if any money was left after paying all the claims against the company, the trustholders would receive a distribution.

Granted, the company said it would be highly unlikely that distributions would ever be made. But just the mere fact that trustholders have the right to a distribution is what complicates the analysis, says Stevie D. Conlon, senior tax analyst for CCH Capital Changes, a company that provides coverage of corporate actions affecting publicly traded companies.

It would've been much easier for everyone if the stock had been canceled -- like what ultimately happened with Worldcom. For a stock to be considered worthless, it must not have present or potential value. And since this Enron trust is lingering out there, it's very tough for a serious tax pro to tell you that it's worthless.

Now you, as the trustholder, can make the argument that it's worthless. But it falls on your shoulders to deal with the IRS if it ever comes knocking.

But all is not lost. The best way out of this nightmare is to create a bona fide sale of the shares and just close the deal. Consider selling your shares to a friend or distant relative -- anyone other than your spouse, siblings or kids -- for a few dollars.

Then make the sale legit.

Get the actual stock certificates from your broker, along with check from the purchaser, and create a bill of sale. Sign the back of the stock certificate and give them to your purchaser. Then have all those signatures verified by your banker or a broker. Explain that the shares have been sold, and ask him to cancel the old shares and issue a new certificate to the new owner.

As long as you mark the sale as valid, then you can be done with the madness and take the loss on your tax return. Consider the transaction closed and be done with it forever.

I received $1,200 doing freelance projects for one client this year. Since it's so low and I will probably start a full-time position somewhere, do I still need to report this to the IRS? Does the client have to report paying me for services since it's a one-time thing and very low? I don't plan on doing any other freelance work this year. -- K.M.

While this probably is not what you want to hear, you have to report the money. Your client was required to report that amount to the IRS, says RIA's Stein, so Uncle Sam already knows you received the payment.

If a business pays you more than $600 for services you performed throughout the year, the business is required to report that annual amount on a Form 1099 to the IRS. That also means you, in turn, should've gotten a 1099 showing that amount was paid.

If, by chance, your total fee for the year didn't exceed $600, then your client wouldn't need to report that payment to the IRS.

But in theory, you should still report any income received on your tax return.
Tracy Byrnes is an award-winning writer specializing in tax and accounting issues. As a freelancer, she has written columns for wsj.com and the New York Post and her work has appeared in SmartMoney and on CBS MarketWatch. Prior to freelancing, she spent four years as a senior writer for TheStreet.com. Before that, she was an accountant with Ernst & Young. She has a B.A. in English and economics from Lehigh University and an M.B.A. in accounting from Rutgers University. Byrnes appreciates your feedback; click here to send her an email.