If you ever wanted to feel like a wealthy cattle rancher that patrols his or her land daily in Texas, then Ford's (F) F-250 Super Duty "King Ranch" will bring you closer to that lifestyle.
This enormous special edition pickup truck is a normal Ford pickup truck on steroids. The more than 6,000 pound King Ranch's 6.7 liter Power Stroke turbodiesel engine puts out 440 horsepower. That allows the truck to boast an otherwise insane maximum towing capacity of 32,500 pounds, capable enough to tow an RV motor home with relative ease. Ford says the truck's steel frame is 24 times stiffer than the prior version.
As for the interior, it's no slouch either.
The spacious cabin in the King Ranch comes standard with leather seats, 110v/400w inverter power outlet, heated steering wheel, second row heated seats, and Ford's Sync Connect system. A couple worthwhile options include a 360 degree camera, inflatable rear safety belts, and a massive twin panel sunroof. Pricing starts at $51,000 and tops out at just over $78,000.
Truck sales continue to be a bright spot for Ford and the auto industry due mostly to demand from the construction space with the U.S. housing recovery still in full swing. Sales of Ford's F-Series trucks rose 5.2% last year to more than 820,000 vehicles. Second and third place, respectively, on the top-selling truck list were General Motors' (GM) Chevy Silverado (574,000 vehicles sold) and Fiat Chrysler's (FCAU) Dodge Ram pickup (489,000). Through February, Ford's F-Series has seen sales gain 10.2% vs. the prior year.
To be sure, the strength in highly profitable pickup trucks is good news for automakers with sales of mid-size autos struggling.
TheStreet had the chance to drive around in a King Ranch for a weekend. Here is what we thought.
Check out some of TheStreet's coverage from the NY Auto Show:
- Cadillac Brings the Netflix Model To Your Driveway
- Audi Just Unveiled The Most Powerful TT Ever Built
- Why Toyota Decided to Radically Redesign Your Mom's Favorite Car, the Camry
- This Is the $45,000 Electric BMW With Recyled Seats That Targets Busy Urban Millennials
- Inside Audi's Mind Blowing R8 Sports Car With Laser Lights and a Killer Price Tag
- Here's When BMW Thinks You Will Be Able to Drive With No Hands
- Criminals Won't Be Able to Escape Ford's Mind Blowing New Hybrid Police Car