In this Ask the Hammer episode, a reader asks:
“What is the recipient's tax basis on gifted stock?”
Jeffrey "The Buckinghammer" Levine of Buckingham Wealth Partners, met with Robert Powell, editor of Retirement Daily, to answer this question.
Jeffrey and Bob discuss the factors that determine differing tax bases including appreciated stock, depreciated stock, and whether it's being gifted to a spouse. They also talk about double-basis rules and step-up in basis provisions after the death of the benefactor.
Watch the full episode to find out the answer to this reader's question.
More Ask the Hammer
- What's the EARN Act?
- How Does Working Impact My RMD and IRA Contributions?
- What Happens If I Inherit a House From a Deceased Spouse?
- What Happens When Minor Children Inherit Retirement Accounts?
- Should I have Closed-End Funds in My Portfolio?
- Can I Set Up a Roth IRA for My Kid?
- Should I Invest in Cryptocurrency If It's Offered in My 401(k)?