Ask Bob: IRAs for non-U.S. Residents

Robert Powell

Question: My wife is not a resident of the U.S., but works here in the U.S. Can she contribute to an IRA if she doesn't have an employer-sponsored plan and our income is under the phase-out limit?

Answer: Yes, your wife can have an IRA. She must, however, have U.S.-based taxable compensation to be eligible to make IRA contributions, says Bill Harris, a certified financial planner with WH Cornerstone Investments.

Choose a membership to read the full story.
Join TheStreet+ Today
Get the latest research, news and analysis to help you achieve your retirement goals.
  • Unlock Financial Strategies to Help Your Retirement Planning
  • Tips and Advice on Everything You Need to Know to Live Well in Retirement
  • Submit Your Most Pressing Retirement Questions to Top Retirement Expert, Bob Powell
  • Latest News in Social Security, Medicare and Retirement Planning
Already a Premium Member? Click Here to Log In

Ask Bob