Ask Bob: Home Sales and Avoiding Capital Gains Tax

Robert Powell, CFP®

Question: I read somewhere that in California If you are a senior and want to downsize by selling your house to move to a condo, you don't pay capital gains. Is it so?

Answer: When you sell a personal residence that you've lived in for at least two of the last five years in any state, $250,000 of gain is excludable from taxable income if you are single or $500,000 is excludable for a married couple, says Brooke Salvini, CPA/PFS, member of the American Institute of CPAs' Personal Financial Planning Executive Committee.

Choose a membership to read the full story.
Join TheStreet+ Today
Get the latest research, news and analysis to help you achieve your retirement goals.
  • Unlock Financial Strategies to Help Your Retirement Planning
  • Tips and Advice on Everything You Need to Know to Live Well in Retirement
  • Submit Your Most Pressing Retirement Questions to Top Retirement Expert, Bob Powell
  • Latest News in Social Security, Medicare and Retirement Planning

Ask Bob