Updated from 2 p.m. EDT with information from Wednesday's press briefing by White House press secretary Jay Carney.
NEW YORK (
) -- U.S. President Barack Obama said the White House won't release any
"The president has made the decision not to release any of the photographs of the deceased Osama Bin Laden," White House press secretary Jay Carney said in a briefing on Wednesday afternoon.
Carney said that in an interview with
"60 Minutes" on Wednesday afternoon, Obama told Steve Kroft, that there is "no doubt we killed Osama Bin Laden."
"You will not see Bin Laden walking on this earth again," Obama said in the interview.
Obama said that he and his administration decided not to release any photos in order to avoid inciting any additional terrorist violence. The president told Kroft that he believed the graphic image could "create some national security risk."
More information about the DNA testing and the facial recognition methods through which officials confirmed Bin Laden's death will likely become available in the future, Carney said, but visual evidence, such as photos or video footage from the raid, will not be released.
Beyond providing details of the government's decision not to release any photos of Bin Laden's body, Carney would not give any further information regarding the raid that took place on Sunday night.
The government had been considering releasing an image of Bin Laden's dead body to further confirm his death, following reports of skepticism from around the world. However, U.S. officials ultimately decided to hold onto the photos to avoid igniting anti-American sentiment.
, citing a U.S. official, reported Tuesday that the government has three sets of photos of Bin Laden taken after he was shot dead by U.S. Navy SEALs in Pakistan on Sunday night.
The first of the three sets was allegedly taken at a hangar in Afghanistan, which contains the most recognizable image of Bin Laden's face, the official said. However Bin Laden's body is reportedly bloody and mangled in the image, which clearly shows a massive open head wound above his eyes where he was shot.
The second set of photos were reportedly taken during the burial in the North Arabian Sea on the USS Carl Vinson, while the third set includes photos of the actual raid,
reported, citing the U.S. official. This set includes photos of the two dead men and Bin Laden's dead son, Khalid, as well as some images of the inside of the compound.
Written by Theresa McCabe in Boston
>To contact the writer of this article, click here:
>To follow the writer on Twitter, go to
>To submit a news tip, send an email to:
Disclosure: TheStreet's editorial policy prohibits staff editors and reporters from holding positions in any individual stocks.