New York City may be left holding the bag when it comes to providing security to Donald Trump.
The Continuing Resolution to fund the federal government through April released on Tuesday night allotted for a $7 million reimbursement to state and local law enforcement for protecting the president-elect through his inauguration -- just a fraction of the $35 million requested by New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio earlier this week. The provision was widely panned by city lawmakers.
"New York City taxpayers should not be on the hook for 80% of the national bill to protect our President-elect and his family's residence," said de Blasio in a statement. We are counting on Congress to step up in the coming months to pay back what it owes our city. This is a national responsibility and the burden cannot fall alone on our city and police department."
Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney, who represents New York's 12th Congressional District, earlier in the day on Tuesday was briefed by NYPD Deputy Commissioner of Intelligence and Counterterrorism John Miller on the effects of providing security for Trump. She said in a statement she was "extremely disappointed" by Congress' decision.
"While I have no doubt that the NYPD will continue to do its part to secure the area around Trump Tower and meet the Secret Service's high standard, our great city shouldn't have to foot the bill for these extraordinary security measures all by ourselves" she said. "That is why my colleagues and I made this request a priority item in the closing days of this Congress. We will continue to push for the full $35 million requested by New York City and the President."
Congresswoman Nita Lowey, who represents New York's 17th Congressional District and serves as ranking Democrat on the House Appropriations Committee, also expressed frustration with the decision.
"New York taxpayers should not be forced to foot the bill for the federal responsibility of protecting the President-elect, and I will work to ensure a future funding bill makes New York City whole," she said.
CNN reported last month that protecting the president-elect and his family was costing New York City more than $1 million a day. The $35 million requested by de Blasio comes out to an average of about $466,667 per day across 75 days. The resolution released by Congress on Tuesday night allots less than $100,000 per day.
Moreover, the resolution does not specify that funds will go to New York City. Trump is currently taking part in a thank you tour, having made stops in Ohio and North Carolina and later this week headed to Iowa and Michigan as well. Some of the $7 million pie could be divvied up among state and local police officers there.
Security measures surrounding the president-elect and Trump Tower, where he works and resides, have become a pain point for New York City officials and businesses since his Nov. 8 election. At a November press conference, de Blasio called the issue an "unprecedented challenge."
Retailers and restaurants surrounding Trump Tower have expressed concerns regarding a downturn in traffic during the all-important holiday season. Tiffany & Co.(TIF) - Get Report , whose flagship store sits on the same block as Trump Tower, has acknowledged increased security around the building has hurt business.
"It's like having the White House at the end of your street now," said restaurateur Willie Degel, who owns Uncle Jack's Steakhouse just a half a block away from Trump Tower on 56th Street, in a recent interview with TheStreet.
At the moment, it appears the City of New York will be expected to pick up most of the bill.