You’ve heard of Amazon Prime: It’s the shopping giant’s paid subscription service that gives users access to many features like fast shipping, a music streaming platform, a selection of video content, and access to an exclusive deal event.
Yes, we’re talking about Prime Day — the retailers “for members-only” sale event that provides significant discounts across every category on the site, from devices and electronics to fashion and home improvement. Last year Amazon's Prime Day Event started Jun. 21 and it lasted for 48-hours, offering some product sales that were better than Black Friday or Cyber Monday deals.
So let’s unpack when Prime Day 2022 will be held, along with everything you need to know about being a Prime member.
The Arena Media Brands, LLC and respective content providers to this website may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website.
When is Amazon Prime Day 2022?
Inside Amazon’s First Quarter Results release, the shopping giant announced the member-exclusive shopping holiday will occur in July this year. It’s planned to happen a month later than Prime Day 2021, which occurred for 48-hours in June.
“This year, Prime Day will take place in July in more than 20 countries. During Amazon’s annual shopping event, Prime members will be able to save on products from national brands and small businesses across every category.”
We don’t yet have specifics, but the anticipated 48-hour exclusive to Prime member sale held in July should offer discounts on every product category sold on Amazon. We expect to see some offers exclusive to Amazon Devices, Samsung TVs, Amazon Basics fashion and popular home retailers like Dyson.
What is Amazon Prime and How Much Does a Subscription Cost?
Amazon Prime is a paid subscription service that gives users access to certain benefits that unsubscribed members cannot access. The service is available in 22 countries including the U.S., Australia, Canada, France, and Germany.
After a free 30-day trial, Amazon Prime will cost you $14.99 per month, or $139 per year with a savings applied to the upfront cost. If you stick with a month-to-month subscription plan, it’ll cost you $180 per year. The $139 annual cost breaks down the monthly rate to just shy of $12 per month.
To put it into perspective, most shipping rates start at $7 and increase with weight, distance, and delivery date. Over the holidays, I paid between $30-50 per package with various sizes of boxes and delivery across the country.
So, if you’re purchasing from Amazon at least once a month, or shipping a lot of packages during the holidays, you could easily make up the monthly cost of the subscription just with their free shipping offer.
Important reminder: once your free trial or membership period ends, you’ll be automatically charged for the next membership period.
What are the Perks of Amazon Prime?
You’ll have access to multiple services — which we breakdown below — and, of course, access to Prime Day.
- Prime Video: Access to a selection of movies, TV shows and live sports. Some of the latest Amazon Originals include the well-reviewed “Being the Ricardos” with Nicole Kidman and Javier Bardem, all episodes of the “Wheel of Time”, and “The Tomorrow War” with Chris Pratt.
- Prime at Whole Foods Market: Prime members can save an extra 10% off sale prices and deals offered on seasonal favorites. You can shop online or find weekly in-store deals. Prime members can also get a 2-hour grocery delivery and free 1-hour pickup from local stores.
- Prime Music: If you haven’t caved and purchased Spotify, this could be the alternative you’ve been looking for. Prime Music has a free version with stations and playlists. Amazon Music Unlimited is an additional $9.99 per month and includes up to 75 million songs, is ad free, and you can listen offline with unlimited skips. Can also be paired with Alexa for hands-free listening.
- Amazon Pharmacy: This prescription benefit can save you money if you do not have insurance. While not considered insurance, it can be used at participating retail pharmacies in the U.S. and Puerto Rico. When you order through the Amazon Pharmacy, the savings benefit is automatically applied, or you can present a digital card at the pharmacy when filling a prescription. This service cannot be combined with your insurance or copay cards.
- Try Before You Buy (formerly Prime Wardrobe): The free version is included in your membership, and you ship up to 6 items with a 7-day try-on period. Products include women’s, men’s, kids and baby clothing, shoes and accessories.
- Prime Reading: Get unlimited access to a rotating catalog of ebooks and audiobooks, 1 free pre-release ebook every month, and magazines and comic books. The selection includes fiction, non-fiction, children’s books, and more. You don’t need a Kindle to use Prime Reading, just download the Kindle apps for iOS or Android to use.
- Prime Gaming: With your Prime membership, you can claim free games in the gaming library. There’s 5+ new PC games added each month, and you can get additional in-game free content each week. Featured games include STAR WARS Jedi: Fallen Order and World War Z: Aftermath.
Prices are accurate and items in stock at time of publishing.