Skip to main content

You must have a hard copy record for every dollar you contribute to a church or charity to claim a deduction on Schedule A.

The record must be an actual canceled check, a bank record (a copy of the front of the check included on your bank statement) or a written communication from the organization showing the name of the church or charity, the date of the contribution and the amount.

The record can also be a credit or debit card receipt or an entry on a bank or credit card statement indicating a credit or debit card charge.

In the case of a payroll deduction for United Way or any other charity, the IRS says, “A pay stub, Form W-2 or other employer furnished document that sets forth the amount withheld for a payment to a donee organization, along with a pledge card prepared by or at the direction of the donee organization, will be deemed to be a ‘written communication from the donee organization’ that satisfies the requirements.”

TheStreet Recommends

You can’t claim you put a fiver in the collection plate each week. You must write a check to the church for the $5 or take advantage of the "envelope" system, which provides a written receipt at year-end.

The law doesn’t say all contributions more than $50 or $100 must be documented. It says all cash contributions must be documented. So get a receipt, even for the smallest of donations.

New Jersey tax pro Robert D. Flach has been preparing 1040s for individuals since 1972.

—For the best rates on loans, bank accounts and credit cards, enter your ZIP code at