Skip to main content

Editor’s Note: This article is part of our 2012 Tax Tips series. Robert Flach is an expert with almost 40 years of experience as a tax professional and also blogs as The Wandering Tax Pro.

NEW YORK (MainStreet) – In a recent “Tax Tip” column, I told you that the extended deductions for educator expenses and students’ tuition and fees are claimed “above the line” – but what exactly does that mean?

Well, the “line” is your adjusted gross income, and in addition to above-the-line deductions there are also those that are claimed below the line.

Above-the-line deductions reduce your adjusted gross income and could therefore increase a multitude of other tax benefits that are “phased-out” or disallowed based on adjusted gross income or a “modified” adjusted gross income, and could also reduce the amount of taxable Social Security or railroad retirement benefits. An above-the-line deduction of $1,000 could actually reduce your net taxable income by much more than $1,000.

Scroll to Continue

TheStreet Recommends

Deductions claimed below the line, on the other hand, reduce your taxable income only. These include the standard deduction and itemized deductions from Schedule A, and the tax benefit of a deduction claimed below the line is always limited to the amount of the actual deduction. A $1,000 below-the-line deduction will only reduce your net taxable income by $1,000.

Other above-the-line deductions, aka “adjustments to income,” include the following:

  • Alimony
  • Early withdrawal penalties for CDs and savings accounts
  • Job-related moving expenses
  • Self-employed deductions for health insurance premiums, half of the self-employment tax, and traditional retirement plan contributions.
  • Student loan interest
  • Traditional IRA contributions

You should keep in mind that you don’t have to itemize to claim these deductions.