Does your kid have income? You may be able to report that income on your return and avoid the headaches (and costs!) of filing another tax return. Here are some guidelines. Your child must be under 14 with gross income, only from interest and dividends, which totals less than $7,000. If so, that income may be reported on the parents' return. See this previous

column for details. Hint: Although it's a pain, it's generally more advantageous taxwise for your child to file his own tax return. Sorry.