When tallying your charitable contributions, don't forget to include contributions made through your payroll deductions, like to the United Way. Check your W-2 for that information and be sure to report it on Schedule A -- Itemized Deductions.

In addition, don't forget about contributions that were deducted directly from your state tax refund. Since you did not write a check for either of these contributions, you may have forgotten about them.