NEW YORK (MainStreet) Super Bowl ticket prices have settled in, dipping from peaks attained Tuesday. Online ticket outlet Razorgator says demand has bolstered secondary market ticket values, which are not falling as fast as last year's NFL championship which featured the Baltimore Ravens versus the San Francisco 49ers, held in New Orleans.
"Local demand is substantially higher this year with 43% of our total sales coming from the New York/New Jersey region whereas in 2013, 20% of purchases were from the state of Louisiana," Nima Moayedi, CEO of Razorgator told MainStreet.
"The price of Super Bowl tickets on the secondary market is falling days before the big game, but not at the rate we've seen in past years," Moayedi continued. "In the past two days the average price has fallen 12.7% whereas in 2013, prices dropped 19.1% during the same time period."
The average ticket price Thursday was $2,683, compared to an average price Thursday before last year's Super Bowl of $2570. One in five of all 2014 Super Bowl sales since the playoffs began have been made from a mobile device, including tablets, up 4% from last year.
Not surprisingly, most of the last-minute ticket shopping is happening locally, with nearly one-third (30%) of ticket searches originating from the New York/New Jersey area. Seahawks and Broncos fans have made their arrangements for the most part, as only 11% of ticket searches are coming from Washington/Oregon and just 3% from Colorado.
The Super Bowl is easily maintaining its status as the most expensive ticket in sports:
- The average price paid for a Super Bowl ticket in 2014: $3,985
- The highest-priced Super Bowl ticket sold in 2014: $10,000
- The lowest-priced Super Bowl ticket sold in 2014: $1,500
New York football
- The highest-priced New York Giants ticket sold this season: $1,088 (Lower Prime)
- The highest-priced New York Jets ticket sold this season: $500 (Lower Sideline) Average Paid: $912 Lowest Paid: $95 Highest Paid: $8,740 Average Paid: $1,198 Lowest Paid: $890 Highest Paid: $2,800 Average Paid: $1,455 Lowest Paid: $338 Highest Paid: $3,965
2013 Final Four
2013 Masters Thurs - Sun
2014 BCS Championship
--Written by Hal M. Bundrick for MainStreet