NEW YORK (MainStreet) — If you've had enough of the Winter Blues and would like to steal away with your significant other for a Valentine's Day weekend excursion, MainStreet has put together a list of ten unique packages around the U.S. with experiences that go beyond the rose petals and chocolate-covered strawberries:
1. Red Mountain Resort, St. George, Utah: Book the Essential Retreat Package for three or more nights and receive a $100 resort credit. Guests can feel the love with the limited-time Cupid's Cocktail Pedicure, a cinnamon and butterscotch caramel treatment which includes a foot soak, butter rum scrub and honey-glaze wrap, finished with a warm citrus-vanilla massage. This 50-minute treatment is $45 and is available now through February 28. The retreat package starts at $200 per night.
2. Bentwood Inn, Jackson Hole, Wy.: The Valentine's Day package includes a chance to learn first-hand from a professional naturalist how wild animals not only survive, but thrive, during a Jackson Hole winter. Try the National Elk Refuge Sleigh Ride (for two). The two night stay also includes lodging in a Deluxe Room -- with private fireplace, king or queen bed, plush robes and linens and unique and natural Bentwood bath amenities, a dinner for two, evening hors d'oeuvre and breakfast in bed. Price starts at $599.
3. Thompson Chicago, Ill.: If you and your lover are on the career track and find it difficult to unplug, you might need the Tech Free Retreat at one of Chicago's newest Gold Coast luxury hotels. Check in your mobile device (optional) and sign up with the personal assistant service to receive a telegram in case of an emergency. Enjoy a superior king room, dinner for two, optional candlelit bath turndown service, terrycloth robes, valet parking and coffee tray the next morning. $299 per night.
4. NYLO Irving/Las Colinas Hotel, Irving, Texas: If a romantic sushi dinner gets your blood flowing, the Valentine's Day package at NYLO Irving/Las Colinas boutique hotel might be for you. This package includes a sake flight for two in The LOFT, a late checkout, overnight accommodations and yes, champagne and strawberries. $229 (NYLO New York is offering an 80s Valentine's Day package).
5. The Gillum House Bed & Breakfast, Shinnston, W.V.: It might not be the Bridges of Madison County, but The Gillum House B&B has nine covered bridges close by. The Valentine's Day winery special includes two nights with breakfasts and turn-by-turn routing to up to four covered bridges. $270.
6. Blue Dolphin Inn, Cambria, Calif.: Walk along the coast on Moonstone Beach's two-mile boardwalk, hike local trails, relax with a great glass of Central Coast wine, and reconnect at the Blue Dolphin Inn. The Coastal Romance package includes a four-hour guided Paso Robles Wine Tour for two with The Wine Wrangler, a complimentary bottle of Blue Dolphin Inn wine and two glasses, artisanal sweets and complimentary gourmet Picnic Breakfast to Go delivered to guests room daily. Packages start at $425 per couple.
7. The Mining Exchange, Colorado Springs, Colo.: What better time to make "whoopee" than the month for lovers? Tour the area, which has many sites, which includes more than 55 local attractions. Come back to the hotel and unwind in a luxurious guest room or suite with 2pm late check-out, bottle of champagne and gourmet Whoopie pie-making kit featuring cake and a trio of delectably sinful fillings. Package starts at $159.
8. The Venetian, Las Vegas, Nev.: A gondola ride is certainly a romantic experience and The Venetian offers it as part of its Romance Getaway Package. The package also includes a luxury view suite, in-suite dining and 25% off a bottle of champagne at the bar. The package starts at $249 per night.
9. Beachside Inn, Destin, Fla.: Couples are invited to bring their love to new heights with the Extreme Love Valentine's Day package. The special offer includes a three-night romantic escape to the Beachside Inn along the sugar white sand beaches of Destin, Fla. along with a bottle of champagne at check-in and 6-mile or 12-mile helicopter tour courtesy of Timberview Helicopter Tours. Package price for a three-night stay, including taxes and fees, at the Beachside Inn with the 6-mile helicopter tour is $453 or packaged with the 12-mile "JAWS" Run Helicopter Tour is $505.
10. Kennebunkport Inn, Kennebunkport, Maine: Red is the color of the heart and the Five Shades of Red experience at the Kennebunkport Inn might set hearts on fire. The package includes a "Lazy Man's" lobster dinner for two at One Dock, a bottle of red wine and chocolate covered strawberries upon arrival, red velvet whoopie pie and a red rose turndown in the evening followed by a deluxe continental breakfast. Prices start at $410 for a king room.
--Written by Kerri Fivecoat-Campbell for MainStreet