NEW YORK (MainStreet) Now that spring has somewhat sprung, the shopping fever has begun to spread. The return of brighter colors, lighter clothes and fresh air is enough to entice any girl to start dabbling in improving her daily look.
Unfortunately, this "fever" can quickly get expensive. For those who don't typically shop for their cosmetics at makeup counters in high-end department stores, there is no reason to lose hope in being able to look good. Remaining trendy this season with the orange lipsticks and doll-like eyelashes is still possible without having to spend your entire paycheck on big-name products. The following is a compilation of budget-friendly beauty products, some recommended by professional makeup artists and others tested out here at MainStreet. These products are sure to provide the celebrity looks you crave without the side order of buyer's remorse. Be sure to check out the list and then make your way to the nearest drugstore.
- Rimmel London 9 in 1 Skin Perfecting BB Cream. Recommended by celebrity makeup artist Jane Cohen, this budget-friendly beauty buy is available at Drugstore.com for only $7."This [BB cream] is a great buy -- it covers imperfections while still looking sheer, minimizes pores and gives a fresh, healthy glow," Cohen says. "It's perfect for spring." She also notes that it contains SPF 25, which also makes it a great necessity for the warmer weather.
- Maybelline Great Lash Mascara. A long-time staple within the cosmetic community, Maybelline Great Lash is probably one of only mascaras on the market whose popularity has not diminished since its creation. Often used by international makeup artist Karuna Chani, this product is priced at a mere $4.49 per tube and can be found at Target. According to Chani, "Maybelline Great Lash can compete with the big dogs.""With a smooth formula and a well-crafted brush that lifts and separates each lash, you can create big, beautiful eyes for spring without the use of falsies," she said.I think we all agree with her when she says that "every woman loves big lashes."
- ChapStick Hydration Lock. ChapStick has been around for what seems like forever, which can only mean that the product delivers what it says it does. The brand has recently come out with a new innovation: Hydration Lock lip balm. The lip balm claims to keep lips moisturized for a full eight hours, thanks to its list of nourishing ingredients like Vitamin E and CoQ-10. The balm also comes in a great new flavor, vanilla crème. MainStreet tested out the balm, and it definitely delivers the moisture and protection that it promises. ChapStick Hydration Lock lip balm can be found at Walmart for just $2.68.
- Johnson's Baby Oil Gel. "To keep my skin moisturized all year round, I apply Johnson's Baby Oil Gel right after I step out of the shower to lock in moisture," says makeup artist Tia Dantzler. She also notes that she mostly targets her drier areas, such as her elbows, knees and heels, and the gel provides long-lasting results. Available at Walgreens for just $3.49 per bottle, the gel can be used freely after every shower, because it does not come along with any over-spending guilt.
- Maybelline Color Sensational Vivids Lipstick. This lipstick, also recommended by makeup artist Karuna Chani, is the perfect lipstick for the warmer weather. Since orange is the go-to lip color this spring, Chani says that Maybelline's "electric orange" lip color is vibrant, works on every skin tone and makes the wearer "bold and beautiful." Maybelline Color Sensational Vivids Lipstick is available at Walmart for $5.50.
- Cover Girl Cheekers Blush. Also highly recommended by makeup artist Jane Cohen, Cover Girl Cheekers blush, primarily in color "deep plum," is the "perfect rosy shade for spring." According to Cohen, this blush has "strong pigment which makes for great staying power," and at a price of $3.89 on Drugstore.com, it's a bargain.
- Blistex Lip Medex. Mariana Leung, founder and editor of the fashion and beauty blog, Ms. FABulous, shares her favorite budget beauty tip. Instead of purchasing an expensive lip plumper to combine with your other lip products, Leung recommends mixing your favorite lipstick with a bit of Blistex Lip Medex. The combination of the two products will plump your lips as well as add long-lasting gloss to the color. Blistex Lip Medex is available on Vitacost for $1.79.
- Cover Girl Line Exact Liquid Liner. One of the most attractive qualities of this liquid liner is that it is in marker form, which makes it so much easier to properly apply. Karuna Chani describes this liner as "smooth and seamless" and the top choice to create the coveted eyeliner "wings." With such precision, you can easily achieve makeup artist-worthy liner in the comfort of your own makeup mirror. Cover Girl Line Exact liquid liner can be found at Walmart for only $5.97.
- Dove Crème Mousse Body Wash. If you're looking to show off silky smooth legs this summer, look no further than Dove's new Crème Mousse body wash line. MainStreet tested out the formula, and while it certainly functions well as a body wash, the formula is so rich that it also makes for a great shaving cream alternative. The formula is also very conditioning to the skin and therefore minimizes the amount of lotion or moisturizer needed after the shower to smooth those freshly-shaven legs. Dove Crème Mousse body wash is available at Drugstore.com for $8.29.
--Written by Ciara Larkin for MainStreet