Skip to main content

Choosing the incorrect filing status on your income tax return is a common mistake made by last minute filers. Be sure to put down the correct status to get credit where credit's due.

For example, if you are unmarried and paid over half the cost of providing for a qualifying person, such as a child or parent, you can file as a head of household and get a lower tax rate than if you had filed as single. A person whose spouse has died within the past two years with a dependent child can file as a surviving spouse and get a lower rate than a head of household. Be sure to read the

instructions on Form 1040 regarding filing status to see where you fit in; you'll find them on page 19.