NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Tech news dominated the social-verse this week with several new acquisitions and partnerships announced. IBM(IBM) - Get Report and ARM Holdings (ARMH) announced a tie-up that will enable IBM's cloud to store and monitor data from ARM's mBed chip system.
Here's our weekly round-up of the most discussed stocks on Twitter(TWTR) - Get Report and traditional media channels -- stock related news that saw the highest level of engagement among market experts and valid sources.
- News Corporation(NWSA) - Get Report : News Corp recently confirmed Wednesday that Rebekah Brooks would be returning to the company as the UK chief executive. Brooks will run UK newspaper operations.
- Barnes & Noble(BKS) - Get Report : Barnes & Noble, along with Samsung, announced the release of the Galaxy Tab S2 Nook. This latest iteration features upgraded screen resolution, 32GB of built-in memory,
and has a retail tag of $400.
- Microsoft(MSFT) - Get Report : Microsoft announced on Thursday their acquisition of Volometrix, a people analytics startup based in Seattle. Details of the deal were not disclosed but Volometrix had previously raised $17 million in funding.
- Google(GOOGL) - Get Report : Google released its monthly update on its autonomous car program last week and reported a rear-end collision suffered a month ago when a human-driven car struck the Google car at an intersection.
- HSBC (HSBC) - Get Report : Argentina's central bank has ordered HSBC to remove the company's CEO in the country, Gabriel Martino. The country accuses HSBC of aiding clients in evading taxes in the country.
- InterDigital(IDCC) - Get Report : The International Trade Commission ruled that Microsoft-owned Nokia(NOK) - Get Report devices did not infringe upon patents held by InterDigital. InterDigital CEO said of the decision: "[It] is disappointing but is expected to have a limited impact on our going-forward business, given the decline of the Nokia mobile device business under Microsoft's control and its limited market position."
- Sanofi (GCVRZ) : Sanofi announced a partnership with Google Life Sciences on Monday to work on ways to monitor and treat diabetes. The life-sciences division will become an independent unit in Google's reorg as Alphabet. The program will be led by Pascale Witz, EVP of Global Divisions & Strategic Development at Sanofi.
- SPDR S&P 500 ETF Trust(SPY) - Get Report : A tweet from @BlockTradeAlert about the SPDR S&P 500 ETF Trust picked up a lot of buzz this week, with a block trade being reported at 500,677 shares at $199.35.
- Lamar Advertising Company(LAMR) - Get Report : Lamar Advertising Company on Tuesday declared a quarterly cash dividend on common stock. The dividend of $0.69 per share is payable on Sept. 30, 2015 to Class A common stock holders and Sept. 16, 2015 to holders of Class B common stock.
- Johnson & Johnson(JNJ) - Get Report : Johnson & Johnson was accused of hiding side-effects of Risperdal, an anti-psychotic drug made by Janssen Pharmaceuticals. Jessica Wright reported in MedPage today that a 2003 study excluded results showing an increase in prolactin among users.
- Accenture(ACN) - Get Report : Accenture announced Wednesday a partnership with SOASTA, a Mountain View, Calif.-based performance analytics firm. The news comes less than a week after Accenture acquired Brazilian digital marketing agency A.D. Dialeto.
The above ten stocks have been ranked according to proprietary analysis by Contix, the leading social media event detection platform exclusively for traders.
This article is commentary by an independent contributor. At the time of publication, the author held no positions in the stocks mentioned.