Recession Not Yet Over, Investors Say

As the country's economists continue to debate whether the recession has ended, we turn to our own panels of economic experts: the readers of TheStreet.
Author:
Publish date:

(Recession poll results updated with latest on Caterpillar stock and its recent share price movement.)
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- As the country's economists continue to debate whether the recession has in fact ended, we turned to our own panels of economic experts: the readers of the TheStreet.

Members of the National Bureau of Economic Research, after a meeting on April 8, decided to forego certifying a "trough date" for the recession that technically began in December 2007. So we took the question to

TheStreet

, asking

Do you think the recession is over?"

The overwhelming majority, or 73.7%, of readers answered with a resounding "no"; the remaining 26.3% answered, "yes."

> > Bull or Bear? Vote in Our Poll

Macroeconomic data would tend to support those results. Still, not all agree. "Simple things tell the truth," Jim Cramer wrote in

his RealMoney column on April 23,

naming several stocks that represent growing evidence of a market recovery.

"

Sears

(SHLD)

, which is universally reviled, is doing well," Cramer pointed out. "Of course, we then chalk that up to some government program."

Cramer chalks it up to an "amazing tide that can't help but lift all boats."

He continued, writing that you don't get "all of these ancillary housing plays like

Sherwin-Williams

(SHW) - Get Report

or

Williams-Sonoma

(WSM) - Get Report

or

TJX

(TJX) - Get Report

and

Bed Bath & Beyond

(BBBY) - Get Report

and

Big Lots

(BIG) - Get Report

roaring" if the economy is still asleep.

In yet another positive indicator for worldwide economic recovery,

Caterpillar

(CAT) - Get Report

on Monday said that it has

raised its full-year outlook

on optimism driven by robust growth in the Asia-Pacific and Latin American economies, and continued improvement in global mining and energy markets.

Caterpillar is increasing its full-year outlook to $2.50 to $3.25 a share on revenue of $38 billion to $42 billion, compared with the consensus estimate of $2.69 on revenue of $37 billion.

Caterpillar stock has risen 5.3% to $72.39 Monday morning.

-- Reported by Andrea Tse in New York

RELATED STORIES:

>>Behold: The Bull Case

>>Caterpillar Ups Forecast on Robust Growth

>>Is the Recession Over?

Follow TheStreet.com on

Twitter

and become a fan on

Facebook.

Copyright 2010 TheStreet.com Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.