NEW YORK (
were among the best-performing stocks in the
Both stocks are rated buy at
Gannett and Mosaic are among the best-performers of the S&P 500 midday Wednesday.
The S&P 500 fell 4.55 points, or 0.33%, to 1,357.66 on Wednesday.
Shares of Gannett increased 4.21% to $15.61 on more than double the stock's average daily trading volume. During the media company's investor day Wednesday, Gannett said it anticipates annual revenue growth of between 2% and 4% as well as earnings growth for the next four years,
reported. The company also reportedly expects to return about $1 billion to its shareholders by 2015.
Gannett has an estimated price-to-earnings ratio of 7.5; the average for publishing companies is 38.04. For comparison,
both have higher forward P/Es of 22.39 and 11.39, respectively.
Six of the 11 analysts who cover Gannett rate it a buy; five analysts give it a hold rating.
gives Gannett a B- grade with a
price target. The stock has risen 20.94% year to date.
Shares of Mosaic rose 3.32% to $58.80 on almost three times the issue's average daily trading volume. The agriculture company announced Tuesday that it's settled an issue that will allow it to expand a phosphate mine in South Fort Meade, Fla.
Mosaic has a forward P/E of 11.06; the average for specialty chemical companies is 12.56. For comparison,
has a lower forward P/E of 9.4;
forward P/E is 11.6.
Of the 21 analysts who cover Mosaic, 13 rate it a buy. Nine analysts give the stock a hold rating.
Mosaic gets a B- grade from
price target. The stock has increased 16.3% year to date.
Other top S&P performers Wednesday include:
- Nabors Industries (NBR) - Get Report: The stock rose 6.97% Wednesday to $21.78. The stock has increased 25.61% year to date. The stock gets a C+ grade from TheStreet Ratings and hold rating.
- Intuit (INTU) - Get Report: The stock increased 5.91% Wednesday to $60.92. The stock has risen 15.84% year to date. The stock gets a B grade from TheStreet Ratings with a buy rating and $67.53 price target.
- Halliburton (HAL) - Get Report:The stock rose 3.27% Wednesday to $38.24. The stock increased 10.81% year to date. TheStreet Ratings gives Halliburton a B grade with a buy rating and $41.16 price target.
- Mylan (MYL) - Get Report: The stock increased 3.26% Wednesday to $23.44. The stock has risen 9.23% year to date.
- National Oilwell-Varco (NOV) - Get Report The stock rose 3.07% Wednesday to $87.18. The stock increased 28.22% year to date. TheStreet Ratings gives National Oilwell-Varco an A grade with a buy rating and $107.70 price target.
- Urban Outfitters (URBN) - Get Report: The stock increased 2.95% Wednesday to $29.33. The stock has risen 6.42% year to date. TheStreet Ratings gives Urban Outfitters a B- grade with a buy rating and $30.54 price target.
- Teradata (TDC) - Get Report: The stock rose 2.94% Wednesday to $64.02. The stock increased 31.97% year to date. TheStreet Ratings gives Teradata an A grade with a buy rating and $82.02 price target.
- Range Resources (RRC) - Get Report: The stock increased 2.85% Wednesday to $66.10. The stock has risen 6.21% year to date. TheStreet Ratings gives Range Resources a C grade with a hold rating.
Written by Alexandra Zendrian in New York
>To contact the writer of this article, click here:
>To submit a news tip, send an email to:
>To follow the writer on Twitter, go to