NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Congress will meet to discuss whether the U.S. has become more "prosperous" five years after passing landmark financial reforms, and New York is banishing cars from a 7-mile stretch of road for some summer fun.
There's no shortage of hard data scheduled for next week, either. The earnings list below includes a fraction of the companies due to release results, and data on the overall economy is also expected.
2. -- Earnings highlights include:
- Monday, July 27, Pre-market: Bank HomeStreet (HMST) - Get HomeStreet, Inc. Report; After Close: Chinese search engine Baidu (BIDU) - Get Baidu, Inc. Sponsored ADR Class A Report and camera maker Canon (CAJ) - Get Canon Inc. Sponsored ADR Report
- Tuesday, July 28, Pre-market: Bank Ally Financial (ALLY) - Get Ally Financial Inc Report, health and energy technology company Ecolab (ECL) - Get Ecolab Inc. Report, car manufacturer Ford (F) - Get Ford Motor Company Report, food delivery service GrubHub (GRUB) - Get Grubhub, Inc. Report, airline JetBlue (JBLU) - Get JetBlue Airways Corporation Report, pharmaceutical company Merck (MRK) - Get Merck & Co., Inc. (MRK) Report, entertainment ratings agency Nielsen (NLSN) - Get Nielsen Holdings Plc (NLSN) Report, pharmaceutical company Pfizer (PFE) - Get Pfizer Inc. Report, satellite radio owner Sirius XM Holdings (SIRI) - Get Sirius XM Holdings, Inc. Report, bank UBS (UBS) - Get UBS Group AG Report and shipping company United Parcel Service (UPS) - Get United Parcel Service, Inc. Class B Report; After Close: Insurer Aflac (AFL) - Get Aflac Incorporated Report, oil refiner BP (BP) - Get BP p.l.c. Sponsored ADR Report, Buffalo Wild Wings (BWLD) , Hawaiian Airlines parent company Hawaiian Holdings (HA) - Get Hawaiian Holdings, Inc. Report, French telecommunications company Orange (ORAN) - Get Orange SA Sponsored ADR Report, Panera Bread Company (PNRA) , Twitter (TWTR) - Get Twitter, Inc. Report and review website Yelp (YELP) - Get Yelp Inc Report
- Wednesday, July 29, Pre-market: Home security provider ADT (ADT) - Get ADT, Inc. Report, health insurer Anthem (ANTM) - Get Anthem, Inc. Report, GPS technology producer Garmin (GRMN) - Get Garmin Ltd. (GRMN) Report, hotel chain parent company Hilton Worldwide Holdings (HLT) - Get Hilton Worldwide Holdings Inc (HLT) Report, insurer Humana (HUM) - Get Humana Inc. (HUM) Report, Mastercard (MA) - Get Mastercard Inc. (MA) Report, defense contractor Northrop Grumman (NOC) - Get Northrop Grumman Corporation Report, Thomson Reuters (TRI) - Get Thomson Reuters Corporation Report; After Close: Barclays (BCS) - Get Barclays PLC Sponsored ADR Report, British American Tobacco (BTI) - Get British American Tobacco PLC Sponsored ADR Report, Facebook (FB) - Get Facebook, Inc. Class A Report, investment firm Fidelity (FNFV) , British pharmaceutical company GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) - Get GlaxoSmithKline plc Sponsored ADR Report, insurer MetLife (MET) - Get MetLife, Inc. (MET) Report and car-parts store O'Reilly Automotive (ORLY) - Get O'Reilly Automotive, Inc. Report
- Thursday, July 30, Pre-market: Drink maker Anheuser-Busch (BUD) - Get Anheuser-Busch InBev SA/NV Sponsored ADR Report, British-Swedish pharmaceutical manufacturer Astrazeneca (AZN) - Get Astrazeneca PLC Sponsored ADR Report, Spanish bank Banco Santander (SAN) - Get Banco Santander S.A. Sponsored ADR Report, health insurer Cigna (CI) - Get Cigna Corporation Report, soft-drink maker Coca-Cola (CCE) , health-goods manufacturer Colgate-Palmolive (CL) - Get Colgate-Palmolive Company Report, energy company ConocoPhilips (COP) - Get ConocoPhillips Report, Deutsche Bank (DB) - Get Deutsche Bank AG Report, auto manufacturer Fiat Chrysler (FCAU) - Get Fiat Chrysler Automobiles N.V. Report, mobile-phone maker Nokia (NOK) - Get Nokia Oyj Sponsored ADR Report, household goods manufacturer Procter & Gamble (PG) - Get Procter & Gamble Company Report, Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) - Get Royal Bank of Scotland Group plc Sponsored ADR Report, airline Virgin America (VA) and Xcel Energy (XEL) - Get Xcel Energy Inc. (XEL) Report; After Close: Biopharmaceutical company Amgen (AMGN) - Get Amgen Inc. Report, semiconductor manufacturer Broadcomundefined, game developer Electronic Arts (EA) - Get Electronic Arts Inc. Report and social networking website LinkedIn (LNKD)
- Friday, July 31, Pre-market: Energy companies Chevron (CVX) - Get Chevron Corporation Report and Exxon Mobil (XOM) - Get Exxon Mobil Corporation Report; After Close: Auto manufacturer Honda (HMC) - Get Honda Motor Co., Ltd. Sponsored ADR Report and Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group (MTU)
3. -- May figures from the S&P/Case-Shiller home price index will be released at 9 a.m. ET on Tuesday, July 28. Analysts are looking for the measure to increase on a month-over-month basis, as it did in April.
4. -- Five years after Congress passed the Dodd-Frank Act, the House Financial Services Committee will hold a hearing on the act and its effectiveness in the Rayburn House Office Building on Tuesday, July 28, at 10 a.m. The bill's anniversary has stoked debate about whether the law was effective -- and will be effective -- in preventing the next financial crisis.
5. -- The Federal Open Market Committee will meet for two days starting on Tuesday, July 28, with a decision on interest rates expected at the end of the meeting. While the dollar continues to show strength, there is a 54% percent chance that rates will increase 0.25 percentage points, according to a survey of analysts conducted by Bloomberg. Still, many investors expect that a rate hike won't come until later this fall.
6. -- Motorola (MSI) - Get Motorola Solutions, Inc. (MOS) Report is expected to unveil some new phones on Tuesday, July 28. Among the new products likely to be unveiled is the Moto G, which leaked plans suggest will contain a better camera and a new version of the Android operating system.
7. -- Gross domestic product figures for the second quarter are expected at 8:30 a.m. ET on Thursday, July 30. While the economy shrank in the first quarter by 0.2%, many analysts are expecting an increase for the second. One estimate from the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta puts the increase at an annualized 2.4%.
8. -- Enjoy good beer and food at New York City's aptly named Good Beer 2015, which starts at 6 p.m. ET on Thursday, July 30. The event at Hudson Mercantile marks the end of Good Beer month in New York. Sample brews from local breweries and buy your favorites to take home for later.
9. -- Renewable energy company TerraForm Global (ticker-to-be GLBL) goes public on Friday, July 31, with an offering worth $1.37 billion. Shares of the Bethesda, Md.-based company are expected to trade for $19 and $21 each. The company was formed in 2014 by SunEdison (SUNE) to manage that firm's solar and wind power assets, which include renewable energy projects in Asia and Latin America.
10. -- Ride a zip line, climb a rock wall or rent a bike at this year's Summer Streets festival, which closes almost seven miles of streets from the Brooklyn Bridge to the Upper East Side for three consecutive Saturdays starting Aug. 1. There also will be food, entertainment, and a light-and-sound art exhibit in the Park Avenue tunnel.