Biotech stocks continue to dominate our top charts to watch.
1. Exact Sciences (EXAS) - Get Report is in a bullish pennant pattern after surging more than 50% in mid-June on positive news about its colon cancer screening test. The stock has had two consecutive "inside days," in which price has been coiling in a narrow range on low volume. Watch for this stock to pop and run, with the upper trend line pointing to $12.50, followed by a target of $14.50.
2. Novavax (NVAX) - Get Report broke through key lateral resistance on Wednesday, popping 20 cents, or 2.8%, to $7.17, on 6.8 million shares. The move, which came on no news from the clinical-stage vaccine company, broke the stock out of a three-week consolidation and continues its move off the May lows near $4.25. The targets are $8.00 and then $9.00, with a large short interest that could accelerate the upward move when covering.
3. Blucora (BCOR) - Get Report has also broken out of a consolidation pattern. The stock had moved sideways since surging in late April, before breaking out one week ago on no news. The company, which provides technology solutions to financial advisers and tax preparers, faces strong lateral resistance around $10.75-$10.80. If it can get through that, watch for $12.75 and maybe even the channel top near $15.
4. Keryx Biopharmaceuticals (KERX) - Get Report , a biotech focused on chronic kidney diseases, took out resistance on Wednesday, popping 54 cents, or 8.6%, to $6.76, on 1.5 million shares. There was no clear news catalyst. A move through the recent highs near $7.00 could get the stock to a target of $8.00 near the top of the rising channel. Like Novavax, it has a large short interest (15 times its average daily volume), which, when covered, could fuel the move.
5. Medivation (MDVN) edged out of a narrow seven-week sideways pattern with a move up $3.16 to $60.95 on Wednesday. The move came on positive phase 3 study results by another cancer drugmaker, Tesaro (TSRO) - Get Report , both of which are developing a type of medication called PARP inhibitors, and positioned the stock above its moving averages. A strong close at the high for the day bodes well for a follow-through. The May highs at $62.87 would be the next level to watch. A break through that area would accelerate the stock's move higher.
See Harry Boxer's video chart analysis on these stocks.
This article is commentary by an independent contributor. At the time of publication, the author held no positions in the stocks mentioned.