US Population Growth +0.79%, Illinois -0.17%, Illinois Second Worst to Coal Plagued West Virginia
Illinois had the second worst performance of any state, sporting a population decline of .017%. Only West Virginia, with huge coal-related woes scored lower than Illinois.
The above chart from the Bloomberg interactive chart The Population Is Swelling in Almost Every State.
The sorry thing about Illinois’ numbers is they predate ….
- The Illinois budget impasse
- The largest Chicago/Cook County property tax in history
- Numerous business closures
- Threats of still more tax hikes
This “Mash” video sums of the state of affairs in Illinois nicely.
Illinois’ Sorry State of Affairs
- March 2016: Chicago Public School System Threatens Massive Tax Hikes Via “Backdoor” Bond Guarantee
- February 2016:Moody’s Downgrades 3 Illinois Universities to Junk or Just Above Junk
- February 2016: Past Due! Illinois Vendors Furious as Unpaid Bills Top $10 Billion
- February 2016: Illinois Dead Last in Resident’s Confidence in State Government
- February 2016: “Bond Girl” Blasts Chicago Public School Bonds, Says “CPS Genuinely Insolvent”
- January 2016: Illinois Too Big a Risk: GE Moves Corporate Headquarters to Boston, Bypassing Chicago Citing Litany of Issues
- January 2016: “B” Word Hits Chicago: Illinois Governor Proposes Bankruptcy for Chicago Public School System
- December 2015: Death Watch Illinois: Despite Massive Stock Market Rally, Illinois Pension Liabilities Go Up, and Up, and Up
- October 2015: Largest Chicago Tax Hike in History, Mayor Emanuel Says “It’s Not a Piece of Art”
- August 2015: Get Me the Hell Out of Here
Everything in the above list comes after the census reporting dates!
Questions of the Day
How much additional population in the next year will Illinois lose because of …
- Additional tax hikes Mayor Emanuel and the Democrats want
- A corporate environment that is among the worst in the nation
- Absurd prevailing wages laws that drive up the cost of everything
- The worst funded pensions in the nation
- Arcane worker’s compensation laws
While pondering those ideas, please note the Illinois Supreme Court Ruled Against Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel on his pension reform plan.
The pretending period is over. The only solution to the Chicago Public School mess is bankruptcy.
Mike “Mish” Shedlock