Personal Income Jumps But Spending Weak
August Personal Income and Outlays
- Personal income increased $73.5 billion (0.4 percent)
- Disposable personal income (DPI) increased $77.7 billion (0.5 percent)
- Personal consumption expenditures (PCE) increased $20.1 billion (0.1 percent).
- Real DPI increased 0.4 percent in August and Real PCE increased 0.1 percent.
- The PCE price index increased less than 0.1 percent.
- Excluding food and energy, the PCE price index increased 0.1 percent.
The above synopsis from the BLS Personal Income and Outlays report for August.
The reports are nearly mirror images. In July real income was weak (0% growth) but spending was moderate (+0.3%) growth.
Mike "Mish" Shedlock