Immovable Forces Meets Trump's Will: What's the Wall Resolution?
Nancy Pelosi is expected to regain House Speaker on Thursday. At that time, Democrats Lay Out Plan to Reopen Government, but it will not contain wall funding.
House Democrats said they will try to reopen the government when they take control of the chamber on Thursday with a spending package aimed at isolating the fight over border-wall funding.
Democrats, who had been debating what package of spending bills to bring to the floor this week, settled on Monday on a plan to pass six full-year spending bills that would fund most of the government through September 2019. They also included a short-term patch extending current funding through Feb. 8 for the Department of Homeland Security, which oversees the border, in the legislation unveiled Monday evening.
The Democrats’ goal is to end the partial government shutdown, now in its 10th day, while focusing the debate on the border-wall funding in February. Mrs. Pelosi has been in frequent communication with Mr. Schumer during the negotiations, according to aides.
Wheels and Walls Never Get Better
- Trump will not sign a bill unless it funds the wall.
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi will not sponsor a bill that funds the wall
- Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell says the “Senate is not going to send something to the President that he won’t sign.”
What's the Wall Resolution?
- Democrats agree to wall funding or partial funding enough to satisfy Trump.
- Senate caves and passes something that Trump angrily signs.
- Senate caves, Trump does not sign, Congress overrides veto.
- Trump builds the wall without funding.
Mike "Mish" Shedlock