Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of Jim Cramer, TheStreet, Inc., or any of its contributors. TheStreet Ratings quantitative algorithm evaluates over 4,300 stocks on a daily basis by 32 different data factors and assigns a unique buy, sell, or hold recommendation on each stock. Click here to learn more.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- ZIOPHARM Oncology (ZIOP) - Get ZIOPHARM Oncology, Inc. Report has been downgraded by TheStreet Ratings from Hold to Sell with a ratings score of D-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate ZIOPHARM ONCOLOGY INC (ZIOP) a SELL. This is driven by a few notable weaknesses, which we believe should have a greater impact than any strengths, and could make it more difficult for investors to achieve positive results compared to most of the stocks we cover. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its unimpressive growth in net income, weak operating cash flow and feeble growth in its earnings per share."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Biotechnology industry. The net income has decreased by 16.8% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, dropping from -$8.90 million to -$10.40 million.
- Net operating cash flow has declined marginally to -$9.87 million or 9.12% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- ZIOPHARM ONCOLOGY INC's earnings per share declined by 11.1% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, ZIOPHARM ONCOLOGY INC continued to lose money by earning -$0.32 versus -$0.66 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 60.9% in earnings (-$0.52 versus -$0.32).
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Biotechnology industry and the overall market, ZIOPHARM ONCOLOGY INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- ZIOP has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 3.97, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: ZIOP Ratings Report