Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a new lifetime high candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified WPX Energy as such a stock due to the following factors:
- WPX has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $56.2 million.
- WPX has traded 851,560 shares today.
- WPX is trading at a new lifetime high.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in WPX with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for WPX NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on WPX:
WPX Energy, Inc., an independent natural gas and oil exploration and production company, engages in the exploitation and development of unconventional properties. Currently there are 2 analysts that rate WPX Energy a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 5 rate it a hold.
The average volume for WPX Energy has been 1.9 million shares per day over the past 30 days. WPX Energy has a market cap of $3.7 billion and is part of the basic materials sector and energy industry. Shares are up 25.6% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday.
rates WPX Energy as a
. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, solid stock price performance and compelling growth in net income. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including disappointing return on equity and weak operating cash flow.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 9.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 5.2%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 152.94% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 36.27% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, our hold rating indicates that we do not recommend additional investment in this stock despite its gains in the past year.
- WPX ENERGY INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, WPX ENERGY INC reported poor results of -$1.24 versus -$0.84 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings (-$0.81 versus -$1.24).
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $144.00 million or 23.80% when compared to the same quarter last year. In conjunction, when comparing current results to the industry average, WPX ENERGY INC has marginally lower results.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, WPX ENERGY INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full WPX Energy Ratings Report.