Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a "water-logged and getting wetter" (weak stocks crossing below support with today's range greater than 200%) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Williams Companies as such a stock due to the following factors:
- WMB has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $146.5 million.
- WMB has traded 3.2 million shares today.
- WMB traded in a range 217.7% of the normal price range with a price range of $1.23.
- WMB traded below its daily resistance level (quality: 14 days, meaning that the stock is crossing a resistance level set by the last 14 calendar days. The resistance price is defined by the Price - $0.01 at the time of the signal).
Stocks matching the 'Water-Logged and Getting Wetter' criteria are worthwhile stocks to watch for a variety of factors including historical back testing and volatility. Trade-Ideas targets these opportunities because the stock is exhibiting an unusual behavior while displaying negative price action. In this case, the stock crossed an important inflection point; namely, "support" while at the same time the range of the stock's movement in price is twice its normal size. This large range foreshadows a possible continuation as the stock moves lower.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in WMB with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for WMB NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on WMB:
The Williams Companies, Inc. operates as an energy infrastructure company. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 4%. WMB has a PE ratio of 39.8. Currently there are 9 analysts that rate Williams Companies a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 2 rate it a hold.
The average volume for Williams Companies has been 5.9 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Williams Companies has a market cap of $25.0 billion and is part of the basic materials sector and energy industry. The stock has a beta of 1.49 and a short float of 2.7% with 4.54 days to cover. Shares are up 11.8% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday.
rates Williams Companies as a
. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its increase in net income, expanding profit margins, good cash flow from operations and increase in stock price during the past year. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had generally high debt management risk by most measures that we evaluated.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry average, but is less than that of the S&P 500. The net income increased by 7.6% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $132.00 million to $142.00 million.
- 38.54% is the gross profit margin for WILLIAMS COS INC which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 8.03% is above that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 57.54% to $668.00 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, WILLIAMS COS INC has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -17.32%.
- Regardless of the drop in revenue, the company managed to outperform against the industry average of 9.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 4.3%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- The stock price has risen over the past year, but, despite its earnings growth and some other positive factors, it has underperformed the S&P 500 so far. Looking ahead, the stock's rise over the last year has already helped drive it to a level which is relatively expensive compared to the rest of its industry. We feel, however, that the other strengths this company displays justify these higher price levels.
- You can view the full Williams Companies Ratings Report.