Update (9:35 a.m.): Updated with Wednesday market open information.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- UBS upgraded Carlyle Group (CG) - Get Report to "buy" from "neutral" and set a $38 target price. The firm noted growth driven by new products and push into retail and considers the hiring of J.P. Morgan executive Michael Cavanagh as a significant win.
The stock was up 6.86% to $33.50 at 9:34 a.m. on Wednesday.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Stocks
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates CARLYLE GROUP LP as a "sell" with a ratings score of E+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate CARLYLE GROUP LP (CG) a SELL. This is based on a variety of negative investment measures, which should drive this stock to significantly underperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The area that we feel has been the company's primary weakness has been its relatively poor performance when compared with the S&P 500 during the past year."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Compared to where it was 12 months ago, the stock is up, but it has so far lagged the appreciation in the S&P 500. We feel that the combination of its price rise over the last year and its current price-to-earnings ratio relative to its industry tend to reduce its upside potential.
- 45.14% is the gross profit margin for CARLYLE GROUP LP which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Despite the strong results of the gross profit margin, CG's net profit margin of 4.35% significantly trails the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 1931.38% to $437.70 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, CARLYLE GROUP LP has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of 123.99%.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Capital Markets industry and the overall market, CARLYLE GROUP LP's return on equity exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- CARLYLE GROUP LP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. This trend suggests that the performance of the business is improving. During the past fiscal year, CARLYLE GROUP LP increased its bottom line by earning $1.80 versus $0.31 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.14 versus $1.80).
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: CG Ratings Report
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.